Removing Cockpit Vinyl Panel-gctid346429

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Cockpit Vinyl Panel-gctid346429

I have a '97 Ciera 2452 express. I have a need to get behind the two side panel in the cockpit area. How are they attached to the hull? I figured I would ask before I assume they are attached like car door panels and start prying them off. Has anyone removed these before?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649157=23999-bayliner2.jpg[/img]

Look carefully inside the folds of the vinyl. There usually is a small slit in the material and a screw embedded in side. Also I have panels that attach from the back with access from below the panel.

Hope that helps. I have not seen any that pry off on my boats.

Comment

Yep. Look in the folds of the white vinyl, near the top you should find a screw hidden in each fold (they can be hard to find if they have slipped under the vinyl - if so look for a small slit). After removing them, the top of the panel should pull away from the cockpit wall; the bottom is held in only by brackets. Lift it out of the way. You won't be able to totally remove it because of the throttle assembly. At least that's how it is on my 1999.
      Larry Purcell
      1999 2452 Classic
      Merc 5.0L, Alpha 1 Gen 2
      San Diego, CA

Comment

Whoa Trigger! I wouldn't be prying that off just yet. Yes, there may be screws in the folds, but that control is bolted all the way through the fiberglass. Find the access cover that exposes the backside and look first. It is under it or infront of it. Good luck. :arr
        David
        http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
        http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

Thanks Everyone. I will give it look see. This was my first post here. Nice to find a good place to get help and hopefully give help.

Comment

The controls are bolted to the removing panel only, not to the fiberglass. Only need to remove the screws in the folds and lift up while pulling outward. Just removed and recovered mine.

Comment

jaxozarks wrote:
              The controls are bolted to the removing panel only, not to the fiberglass. Only need to remove the screws in the folds and lift up while pulling outward. Just removed and recovered mine.
              Thanks for the info. I took one off a 28 recently and it was bolted through with hidden studs.
              David
              http://www.cambridgeadvertising.org
              http://www.davidladewig.com

Comment

My last boat was also a 1997 2452 just like yours. There are several screws under the vinyl seams that hold the panel to the fiberglass. The fiberglass is cut behind the panel where the control is recessed into and the cables run. All your panels are held in the same way with screws behind the seams or folds. You have a great boat, I enjoyed mine for 7 years before moving up to its big brother.

Rock

Comment

Rock wrote:
                  My last boat was also a 1997 2452 just like yours. There are several screws under the vinyl seams that hold the panel to the fiberglass. The fiberglass is cut behind the panel where the control is recessed into and the cables run. All your panels are held in the same way with screws behind the seams or folds. You have a great boat, I enjoyed mine for 7 years before moving up to its big brother.

Rock
                  Thanks. I have enjoyed it so far. Weather permitting, I am putting new rod holders this weekend and changing out some base rail fittings. Can't wait to get back out and fish!

Comment

Daran,

Just curious to where you got your boat, I traded mine in at BMC in Orlando for my new 289 which was ordered thru them . I also had the 5.7 Alpha with 2 barrel. My next upgrade on mine will be hardtop hatches for more air flow ( if I can find some at a good price). I should of done one of those on the 2452 since it just had the little vent windows. I also had to replace some railing bases and added an access cover to the step thru so I could replace the swim platform rail bases also. I had to replace them several times from the stress of the platform.

Rock

Comment

Rock wrote:
                      Daran,

Just curious to where you got your boat, I traded mine in at BMC in Orlando for my new 289 which was ordered thru them . I also had the 5.7 Alpha with 2 barrel. My next upgrade on mine will be hardtop hatches for more air flow ( if I can find some at a good price). I should of done one of those on the 2452 since it just had the little vent windows. I also had to replace some railing bases and added an access cover to the step thru so I could replace the swim platform rail bases also. I had to replace them several times from the stress of the platform.

Rock
                      I pulled back the vinyl folds and I found some screws. Easy as pie. Thanks.

I got mine in Destin. The swim platform handrail bases are some of the bases I am replacing also.

Comment

Daren,

Since your up in Destin if you are a diver I did this to mine. I mounted a 4 step dive ladder (the one that is removable from the bracket close to the swim platform handrail. The top step was just above and over the swim platform and I mounted with heavy tie wraps a wooden block to the bottom of the step. When the ladder was placed in the bracket the right side of the top step would lightly touch the top of the platform for added support. You could climb right up the ladder in full gear (minus fins) and step right over to the platform and enter the boat. I placed a thick aluminum plate as a back up inside the hull under the mounting nuts. Never had a problem or any stress cracks in 7 years of use. I mounted on top of the transom lift up door to the well the ladder storage brackets. This was a good place to stow the ladder and a reminder to remove it before getting underway. My current boat I installed an under platform drop dowm fold up 4 step ladder. I have already gotten up on plane and than noticed a strange wake behind the boat (ladder still down). I have done this several times because you cannot see it at all since it is under the platform even though I do a check for any lines left over the side (dive flag float, spear gun line, fish stringer line etc) before start up. Lucky no ladder damage.

Rock

Comment

Just wondering did anyone have to remove the throttle control off the fiberglass, and if so how do you get to the nuts behind the wall?

I am removing mind to rebuild them the bottoms have rottened off. The left side I could get to the back side took off the two nuts holding the handle on, and pulled the rest throught the screws. It makes wonder how they build them with the throttle controls installed the way they.

Thanks

Comment

Rock wrote:
                            Daren,

Since your up in Destin if you are a diver I did this to mine. I mounted a 4 step dive ladder (the one that is removable from the bracket close to the swim platform handrail. The top step was just above and over the swim platform and I mounted with heavy tie wraps a wooden block to the bottom of the step. When the ladder was placed in the bracket the right side of the top step would lightly touch the top of the platform for added support. You could climb right up the ladder in full gear (minus fins) and step right over to the platform and enter the boat. I placed a thick aluminum plate as a back up inside the hull under the mounting nuts. Never had a problem or any stress cracks in 7 years of use. I mounted on top of the transom lift up door to the well the ladder storage brackets. This was a good place to stow the ladder and a reminder to remove it before getting underway. My current boat I installed an under platform drop dowm fold up 4 step ladder. I have already gotten up on plane and than noticed a strange wake behind the boat (ladder still down). I have done this several times because you cannot see it at all since it is under the platform even though I do a check for any lines left over the side (dive flag float, spear gun line, fish stringer line etc) before start up. Lucky no ladder damage.

Rock
                            I will keep this in mind. So far, so good with my current platform.

Comment

My expierence is different from everybody else. I have a 1998 Trophy 21 feet and both panels stb and port were rotted at the bottom about 1/3 up. My panels were secured by headless bolts under the vinyl which did not have any seams to hide bolts or anything. My removal was,on the port side look in the little compartment beside and under the panel unbolt two bolts that held the handle on, I pull the panel throught the other bolts under the vinyl. The stb side I could not get behind the panel so I had to cut the vinyl completely off, drill holes around the headless bolts (to pull throught) and then took off the throttle control which is secured the panel only. You need to read the removal preceedures to finish the controls. Any questions give me a e mail.

Comment

Working...
                              X