X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine stalls right away-gctid390763

This boat is new to me, A well maintained 1998 2455SE

5.0 L carb engine.

Was running great Friday, took it our for 2 hrs on the lake and docked it. I went to the boat today and it would not start but if i put the throttle all the way up it will run for 1-2 seconds then stop.

idle circuit clogged maybe.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...d=1#post682004

give this a read.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Check the easy stuff first. 1) Fuel in the tank. 2) Replace inline fuel/water separator. If the P.O. didn't use it for a while water may have condensed in the tank.

Comment

This problem appeared when the tank got down to about 1/8 full

Comment

PIPER1 wrote:
          This problem appeared when the tank got down to about 1/8 full
          You probably need fuel. You should never let your tank get that low, the sender and gauges are notoriously wrong.

Comment

I added 20 litres (about 4 gallons) with a jerry can last night and gave it a try and it was still thee same.

Comment

Electric fuel pumps go quick if they don't have fuel cooling them. Even 15 seconds running without fuel can kill them.

Just saying.

Ok want to try something? From a external tank or fuel can run a hose straight to the fuel pump bypass everything.

Put steady power to the fuel pump, from the battery, and crank the engine see if it starts and runs good. Get back to us after you try it.

Use your head and be safe ! In a well ventilated area. When i try this i leave the fuel can outside the boat and use a long hose so i know the fuel can won't catch fire.

You will be surprised, how fast this narrows down what the problem can be.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Check the emergency cutoff toggle switch for the throttle. Had 10 minutes of panic the other day and realized my little girl was in the helm seat playing with the lanyard. The switch looked like it was closed, but it wasn't.

Comment

Ags8th wrote:
                  Check the emergency cutoff toggle switch for the throttle. Had 10 minutes of panic the other day and realized my little girl was in the helm seat playing with the lanyard. The switch looked like it was closed, but it wasn't.
                  +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

EXACT SAME THING happened to me. My daughter has been playing "drive the boat" and likes to play with the lanyards. Both are in just like they should be but sometimes the damn thing wont start. I have to remove the lanyard and push the switch in like 10 times then put the lanyard back on and it starts fine.

My mechanic said this is very common, they start to get a crappy connection over time. I quick test with a voltmeter can check for this, or you can just try what I did. A good way to tell, is itll run when ur starting, but as soon as you let go of start and the key goes back to on, the engine dies.

Comment

For systems using the start-by-pass, the engine will fire while the starter motor is engaged, even while the kill switch circuit is open.

However, I don't believe that the TB ignition system uses a start-by-pass, therefor the 2-3 second run time makes little sense if the lanyard kill switch circuit was open.

IOW, something would need to temporarily power the ignition during this short 2-3 second run..... Yes/No????

If the carburetor is easy for you to remove, pull it and dump the contents into a clean container.

Look for water.

Re-install with a new base gasket.

Operate the fuel pump, and run some fuel into a clean container.... being very careful while handling raw fuel!

Again, look for water in the fuel.

Dump the contents of the fuel filter into a clean container, and look for water.

It's never a bad idea to pull the fuel tank pick-up tube, and examine the end screen.

While you remove this, it will give you a tell-tale sign of the remaining fuel level.

Check the anti-siphon valve while you're there.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                      For systems using the start-by-pass, the engine will fire while the starter motor is engaged, even while the kill switch circuit is open.

However, I don't believe that the TB ignition system uses a start-by-pass, therefor the 2-3 second run time makes little sense if the lanyard kill switch circuit was open.

IOW, something would need to temporarily power the ignition during this short 2-3 second run..... Yes/No????

If the carburetor is easy for you to remove, pull it and dump the contents into a clean container.

Look for water.

Re-install with a new base gasket.

Operate the fuel pump, and run some fuel into a clean container.... being very careful while handling raw fuel!

Again, look for water in the fuel.

Dump the contents of the fuel filter into a clean container, and look for water.

It's never a bad idea to pull the fuel tank pick-up tube, and examine the end screen.

While you remove this, it will give you a tell-tale sign of the remaining fuel level.

Check the anti-siphon valve while you're there.

His engine would function along the same lines as mine, if he is having an issue like I stated, it would probably be good to check the lanyard 1st. Remembers KISS... Start with the basics before we start removing things and replacing gaskets.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                        His engine would function along the same lines as mine, if he is having an issue like I stated, it would probably be good to check the lanyard 1st. Remembers KISS... Start with the basics before we start removing things and replacing gaskets.
                        Rayn, for the kill switch to be causing this, it would somehow need to make contact just long enough for the engine to fire for 2 to 3 seconds, and then somehow let go of the continuity immediately afterwards.

That was my point regarding the Start-by-pass circuit.

If he had a start-by-pass, it may give the symptoms that he describes.

If it is fuel related, there's no harm in looking at the pick up tube or anti-siphon valve.

These are items that should be routinely examined anyway.... especaily on a new-to-him boat.... Yes/No???

R&R a carburetor is what....... a 15-20 minute job?

A new base gasket is what....... $6?

These are suggestions only.... people are going to do no more or no less than what they are willing to do.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Never hurts to cycle the dead mans switch a few times. But, if the switch was pulled the engine will crank, will not start even for a few seconds.

Worth trying the switch first !

If the oil pressure sensor went then the engine will run few 2-3 seconds but not reading oil pressure the switch will cut current to the pump.

Just sayin, not wanting to step on any toes here.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

ags8th wrote:
                            check the emergency cutoff toggle switch for the throttle. Had 10 minutes of panic the other day and realized my little girl was in the helm seat playing with the lanyard. The switch looked like it was closed, but it wasn't.
                            bingo !

Comment

PIPER1 wrote:
                              bingo !
                              Sometimes we need to catch rick when hes getting a little Verbose.

2850Bounty wrote:
                              Rayn, for the kill switch to be causing this, it would somehow need to make contact just long enough for the engine to fire for 2 to 3 seconds, and then somehow let go of the continuity immediately afterwards.

That was my point regarding the Start-by-pass circuit.

If he had a start-by-pass, it may give the symptoms that he describes.

If it is fuel related, there's no harm in looking at the pick up tube or anti-siphon valve.

These are items that should be routinely examined anyway.... especaily on a new-to-him boat.... Yes/No???

R&R a carburetor is what....... a 15-20 minute job?

A new base gasket is what....... $6?

These are suggestions only.... people are going to do no more or no less than what they are willing to do.

KISS Amazing what that little lanyard can do, you can add this to your list o fixes

Comment

Working...
                              X