Total loss of power-gctid390576

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total loss of power-gctid390576

Had a great Sunday planned with the family and grand kids. My 2003 285 with the 5.7 MPI was working great and ready to go. On the Saturday we added 30 gal of fuel for the days outing. Once we got out on the lake I started to WOT the throttle but it seemed slower then normal but I passed it off at first as the extra weight until the rpm dropped and the boat would do all it could do to idle. Once I got back to the dock and high hopes the the problem would be a quick fix I removed the fuel separator and replaced it with a new one which a fellow boater at my club was gracious enough to part with. After dumping the fuel in the old one water could be clearly seen but with high hopes to save the day I fired the boat up; however, this time it sounded normal and would keep high idle rpm. So I took the boat back out. Once out on the lake I opened the throttle again, the rpm climbed up and once it got to about 2500 rpm it lost power again and began to run and idle ruff. A slight knock could be heard from time to time as we limped back to the dock.

Has anyone experienced this? I have checked the fuel filter and it did not appear to be plugged. Could water in the fuel cause this and if so is there anything I can add to the fuel to eliminate this problem other than taking the fuel out?

if you suspect water in the fuel imo you have to get it out. the first filter you pulled clearly had water in it as you stated . i would pull it again and check for water . one question i would then ask where is the water coming from. does it have a fuel cooler?

Comment

.I am suspecting the fuel because the motor ran great before the new fuel was added. I had bought the 30 gal at 2 different station. The fuel that came from the old separator did appear to have water but I am not able to see the colour as I only had a gas can with me to dump the fuel into

Comment

Working...
      X