Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iproff
    replied
    If you have a volt meter you can test the charger very easy. Turn the charger off at the switch on the electrical panel, now connect the volt meter to the battery and have someone turn the switch back on. The volt meter should show an increase, if it does not turn the charger off. There should be in-line fuses on the 12vdc side of the charger check them, they might be blow'n. The other thing to check is the negative from the charger, if that is not connected then that's a problem.

You are only testing the 12v dc side of the charger and there is no chance of shock or doing damage to anything. If you don't have a volt meter, you might want to get one at Harbour Freight, it does not have to be an expensive meter. They come in very handy on the boat

Ken

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i think the best way to check a battery when charged is to use a load tester.most auto

parts should have them to borrow or you could purchase one.hope that helps.:right

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So I replaced both batteries yesterday, I still noticed that the battery charger is still on red and have the breakers on.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the charger but I have a red and green light on the charger, I have yet to see the green light on. My last batteries would drain so I know the charger should be kicking in.

Wi the red light on I know I have power to the charger but why isn't it charging.

Please note***I am HORRIBLE with any type of electricity. Is there any easy way to figure out what's going on?

Leave a comment:

• Jeffw
    replied
    It could also be loose or corroded battery terminals, I'd start there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My shorepower 110V AC draw charger, which is mounted in the engine compartment, has a green light that is lit when it is properly receiving current and it has an additional red light that simultaneously lights up when the charger is charging the batteries. When the batteries are fully charged, the red light goes out and the green light remains on.

It sounds like your batteries are not taking a charge.

You can buy a battery testing hydrometer very cheaply at any auto supply store.

At one point, I wanted to test my charger and I called the charger manufacturing company and spoke to a technician who had instructions on specifically how to connect the Multimeter and the readings you should have at each step.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I seems like it taking a while to get the volts up and will only get to 13v. When I use my trim tabs or anything electric I notice it drops the volts. My first guess is the batteries are no good and that why the charger isn't charging them. However, I'm not sure why I only have a red light on the charger.

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    tank1023 wrote:
    I rented a slip for the first time ever, yesterday I pulled into my new slip on the first shot (I was pretty happy cause all the " regulars" we're watching). Secured my boat, plugged into the shore power, turned on the main breaker switch, battery charger switch, refridg and made a Makers and coke. I enjoyed the evening, woke up made coffee and started the boat.....well I didn't start the boat cause the batteries were dead.

I used my jump start to get the boat started but noticed I wasnt charging very well. After going out for the day I plugged into the shore power again and noticed my battery charger light was red.

Question. Is it my batteries that are shot or the charger? The guy next to me own an auto parts store and said he can get me some batteries for around 70 each.

Question2 is a little stupid. Can I grease my gimbal bearing while it's in the water?
    Second question first - if you can get the grease gun on the zerk then you can grease any time you like

Now to the meat of the question - when you say not charging very well. Do you mean that the volt meter is not at 14V when running or the charger is giving you funny signals? If the batteries are just really low then you may not get 14V to show on voltmeter because your batteries aren't charged enough to be even let the alternator get to 14V but it should be at least 13V.

My house bank when it is down a bit and we leave our mooring that alternator will not show 14V for quite a while but if we come down to boat and batteries have been on the inverter float charger all week and we leave marina both volt meters will run at 14V.

Check the batteries with a hydrometer and replace if needed. Then move onto the charger and lastly the engine charging system.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Two questions....-gctid390519

Two questions....-gctid390519

I rented a slip for the first time ever, yesterday I pulled into my new slip on the first shot (I was pretty happy cause all the " regulars" we're watching). Secured my boat, plugged into the shore power, turned on the main breaker switch, battery charger switch, refridg and made a Makers and coke. I enjoyed the evening, woke up made coffee and started the boat.....well I didn't start the boat cause the batteries were dead.

I used my jump start to get the boat started but noticed I wasnt charging very well. After going out for the day I plugged into the shore power again and noticed my battery charger light was red.

Question. Is it my batteries that are shot or the charger? The guy next to me own an auto parts store and said he can get me some batteries for around 70 each.

Question2 is a little stupid. Can I grease my gimbal bearing while it's in the water?
Working...
X