Need help-gctid390445

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help-gctid390445

Heard a strange flutter or chattering noise which seemed to be coming from the out drive. It happened when hitting around 30 mph/4000 rpm. The only other thing I noticed was at that speed the engine temp went up about 20-25 degrees more than usual. I'm thinking the impeller. It was changed a year ago. Any ideas would be helpful what this might be. Motor is a 3.0 alpha 1. Could this be an engine ping? I adjusted the timing before the last outing and maybe I did not get it correct.

I would inspect the U joints and Gimble bearing to start. Then, the water pump. The chattering could also be a spun hub on the propeller.

Comment

Doesn't sound like The first two suggestions account for the rise in engine temp then.

Comment

We also noticed at idle speed it seemed like the engine exhaust sounded a little different. Not sure if this is related or our imagination.

Comment

I also adjusted the timing before this outing, is it possible that the engine is pinging if I did not get the timing right? I know what it sounds like in a car, but it is harder to detect on a boat motor because the exhaust is un-muffled.

Comment

I get the impression no one is buying my theory by the lack of responses.....I will post the results after the timing check and a water trial.

Comment

As it turns out, I did do the engine timing again and as I suspected it was off. I set it properly this time and the noise is gone so it must have been an engine ping.

Comment

Working...
              X