Battery MBSS Help???-gctid390410

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery MBSS Help???-gctid390410

I read many post responses to battery related issues, but missed one important issue. When switching the MBSS from 1 to 2 or all. Do you need to turn the engine off. Most mechanics and old timers say to turn off the engine to insure no electrical problems. I would really like to hear some input to this question from any and all. Thanks Gary :worth
    GARCHAR
    1988 2655
    2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
    Twice Past Commodore
    Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR

Short answer no.

When you switch from one to two or all, you are always suppling power to the boat, but never turn it to off when you are still running.

That's about as short and simple as I could make the answer.

Ken
    300SD all options sold.

Comment

well, just posted this in another thread....

The Switch is supposed to be a "make-before-break" and nothing will happen unless you switch to off. At that moment you have send your rectifier diodes in the alternator to nirvana.

When these switches age it can happen that for a short moment they open (they shouldn't) while switching from 1 to all to 2 and this has the same effect. If you have a switch with AFD nothing goes South as there are diodes which provide a path for the current from the alternator to the battery(-ies). For this reason I'd never install a switch w/o AFD. Not worth adding the diodes later as the price difference is minimal.

Comment

Garchar wrote:
        I read many post responses to battery related issues, but missed one important issue. When switching the MBSS from 1 to 2 or all. Do you need to turn the engine off. Most mechanics and old timers say to turn off the engine to insure no electrical problems. I would really like to hear some input to this question from any and all. Thanks Gary :worth
        Gary, the MBSS switching contact plates hold onto one selection as they are making the next selection..... then they break free from the precious selection.

Juergen is correct, the term commonly used is "make-before-break".

Many of the old Battery Switches were not an MBSS..... but were rather a simple On/Off switch.

Even the old time MBSS's were "make-before-break" contacts, and some offered "field protection".

The field protection circuits protected the alternator in the even that the MBSS was accidentally switched to or through the OFF position.

Perhaps these mechanics and old timers are confusing the alternator field protection of the old MBSS's.

As suggested......, do not turn to or through the OFF position with the engine running, and you'll be OK.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
        X