5.7 replacement and trailer-gctid390210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.7 replacement and trailer-gctid390210

Well since my misfortune, ive so tied up with work and my wife again hating the boat we havent even looked or touched it. Talking to and listening to some forums the ticking might result in just replacing the motor. Anybody know of a cheap place to get a replacement to get me back on the water maybe this season... keep in mind ive decided to purchase a trailer to save on staorage fees.. too busy to have the marina take care of keeping my boat. Ive have no luck in finding a trailer for my 2750 at a reasonable cost... so ill have to bite the bullet and get a trailer at an outrageous price and fix the boat next year. Even if it was running, ive had no time to get down and enjoy it just floating at the dock.... this has got to be the worse purchase ever... just trying to make something of nothing right now... maybe rambling but really sucks... uughh! Just looking for input.. i wish i could find a cheap trailer and be able to get me up and running... i thought this would b a great venture for the family and a start to something great but, it has been nothing but a thorn in my side...stressed out! Any ideas to keep my dream alive?

Sorry to say, but unless you can get the wife interested, you face an uphill, nearly impossible task. If she hates the boat, I'm afraid you are sunk. :sorrow:

Comment

apexaro1 wrote:
      Well since my misfortune, ive so tied up with work and my wife again hating the boat we havent even looked or touched it. Talking to and listening to some forums the ticking might result in just replacing the motor. Anybody know of a cheap place to get a replacement to get me back on the water maybe this season... keep in mind ive decided to purchase a trailer to save on staorage fees.. too busy to have the marina take care of keeping my boat. Ive have no luck in finding a trailer for my 2750 at a reasonable cost... so ill have to bite the bullet and get a trailer at an outrageous price and fix the boat next year. Even if it was running, ive had no time to get down and enjoy it just floating at the dock.... this has got to be the worse purchase ever... just trying to make something of nothing right now... maybe rambling but really sucks... uughh! Just looking for input.. i wish i could find a cheap trailer and be able to get me up and running... i thought this would b a great venture for the family and a start to something great but, it has been nothing but a thorn in my side...stressed out! Any ideas to keep my dream alive?
      Have it towed by a professional boat towing company, put it on blocks in your drive way and sell it. Boating is an expense you have to love.

My 2 cents.

Comment

You are going to need a very big tandem axle or possibly a triple axle. If you but new I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500-$4000. I don't know what you pay for moorage but that's a lot of months moorage so I'm not sure where you would being saving any money.

If you have a place somewhere that you can keep it, you could rent a trailer just to transport it and place it on blocks until you figure out what you want to do.

Comment

apexaro1 wrote:
          2859er wrote:
          Sorry to say, but unless you can get the wife interested, you face an uphill, nearly impossible task. If she hates the boat, I'm afraid you are sunk. :sorrow:
          I agree. This can be an uphill battle if your wife is not also on board with the idea.

Not only for the boating portion, but what this may do to the family budget and family time.

Couple of suggestions:

Don't take on a project like this unless you have the extra money and/or budget for it.

Don't take on the project unless you have the time and the skills.

Don't take on the project if it creates a family conflict. (Quote: "it has been nothing but a thorn in my side... stressed out!")

27 footer..... and you want a "cheap replacement" engine??? I don't think that's a very good idea!

Buying a trailer???? You can always sell a good trailer should it come to that! Remember, cheap trailers are like boat projects....... something will require replacement.

Good luck with you delima!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

apexaro1 wrote:
            Sell it as is, cut your losses, and find a smaller, running boat with a trailer?

You should be able to find one that is running and with a trailer for cheaper than what a new engine and trailer is ging to cost you.

I've been looking at alot of boats over the last year(finally found one 2 weeks ago) and I've found that putting a new $5,000 engine and a $5,000 trailer under a $5,000 boat does not make it a $15,000 package. Alot of people seem to think so, but their boats are still for sale.

Comment

Unfortunately I have to agree with the above posters. If you can't spend time on the boat with your admiral against it it's not worth wasting further money on it. As the above poster said adding $10k in trailer and engine to a $5k boat makes it a $8k boat (at best).

Always remember, what you add may not be appreciated by a potential buyer. In other words only add what has high value to you and consider it as sunken money. I love a good trailer with disk brakes and large wheels for comfort of towing (small boat) but I know that I won't get anything for these add-ons if I would try to sell the boat.

I also love big boats but went with one I could just tow with my current vehicle (3500lbs max), a 17.5ft and I can tell you that we have a lot of fun with it.

My admiral and the rest of the family are into boating but we still didn't manage to use the boat more than twice last year (already twice this year, fortunately).

I'd have a family conference to find out what can and can't work and base the rest on that.

Comment

Often, when you buy a boat, there are some big expenses you have to shoulder through to get the boat running properly. If money is an issue, you can look at the process as taking multiple years to get it all correct. The plus side is the equipment you replaced is working correctly. Make no mistake, you have to keep at it - there will always be rather high costs. You have to decide if you want the ongoing process of costs and maintenance along with the fun.

And you will need to tune the wife out when she talks about the boat

Comment

[

And you will need to tune the wife out when she talks about the boat [/QUOTE]

I do that with the girls I date. Can't figure out why Im single.

Comment

Working...
                  X