Marine TV (39)S ?-gctid390160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine TV (39)S ?-gctid390160

Looking for a 20" TV to mount to the outside of my head wall in my Cierra 2355.

I am only interested in shore power so i dont need it to run on DC.

I am wondering whats best LCD or LED ?

I do take the boat out quite regularly and i was concerned about the shaking sometimes in rugh days. I hear that there are special " marine " TV's that are less sensitive to vibrations of being on a boat but i wonder if a regular one will do.

The most modern TV is the LED set. Plasma has a nice picture, but the backlighting uses a lot of electricity. Now, there is a hybrid TV that uses Plasma for the picture and LED for the backlighting.

The simplest way to determine whether the TV is energy efficient is to put your hand over a display that has been running for awhile. If it hot, it's using a lot of power. If it's cool, it's fairly efficient.

The rest is based on your personal needs. Do you need connections for a computer. Do you need a built in DVD. Do you like the way the remote works. Some sets come with built in WiFi and a Web Browser...(!) See if the set has the bolts on the back for a wall mount. Most all sets these days have the built in Digital tuners. Near a city, you can get dozens of channels on the Digital tuners.

Regarding vibration, you might check the RV forums. They have a lot posts on this same subject.

Okay. I hope this helps.

Comment

we have a slimline flat screen 19 inch I got at Fred Meyer (aka Kroger) chain here.. it has all the hook ports for a dvd player or you can mount a puter to it also... its slim lined so it doesnt take much room and can be mounted.. worked perfect for us and lite weight to move into the master berth or in the salon up over the seater area

AND it was under 75.00

Comment

LED is the way to go. We have a 22 inch Samsung mounted to the head wall on a detachable mount. When we're underway, I detach it and lay it screen down on the V berth mattress. Absolutely no need to keep it mounted underway...
        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        |
        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
        And 12 others...
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I picked up a Naxa 17" lcd which I mounted where you are looking to mount. Got a swing arm mount and works awsome. Mount and tv cost a totalt of 124.00 Brand new via Ebay. Also got an external DTV antenna, not specifically marine but its omni sealed in a round plastic enclosure and I mounted that on my Radar Arch. That was 38.00 shipped. All works AWSOME! BTW the Naxa tv is 12V/120V so I can use it anytime!

Comment

Do most people think that you should take it off the wall while underway ?

Comment

I always left it on the wall on my 2455, but I did have a cloth strap to keep it from swinging around and support some of the weight. Look in my 2455 mod photos:

http://gallery.me.com/caalvarez#1016...lack&view=grid

The strap is just a canvas material with a snap on one end and one of the twist-lock things on the other. I made it tight enough to pull up on the TV just slightly.

Comment

PIPER1 wrote:
                Do most people think that you should take it off the wall while underway ?
                We remove ours before getting underway. Just too much bouncing about to feel comfy with it mounted.
                Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
                1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
                454 Merc Cruisers inboards
                "HOLODECK"
                2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
                www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                  I always left it on the wall on my 2455, but I did have a cloth strap to keep it from swinging around and support some of the weight. Look in my 2455 mod photos:

http://gallery.me.com/caalvarez#1016...lack&view=grid

The strap is just a canvas material with a snap on one end and one of the twist-lock things on the other. I made it tight enough to pull up on the TV just slightly.
                  I have a similar mount and strap it the same way. After one season all was still well. I bought a cheap tv with built in dvd player - not Marine.

Comment

Working...
                  X