Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An FYI and FWIW for you AQ series Volvo Penta guys! PDS bearing replacement!-gctid390128

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An FYI and FWIW for you AQ series Volvo Penta guys! PDS bearing replacement!-gctid390128

Here is an image of a Volvo Penta V-8 flywheel cover with it's FWD PDS seal out of position.

Compliments of Kelly.

I'm assuming that this is the way he discovered this when he removed his engine.

I don't know the details as to where the seal went.... but it is definitely not there as you can see by the grease oozing out from around the PDS.

This is precisely why I suggest:

A.... glue the FWD seal in place. This is done AFTER you have pre-filled the cavity with new grease, and AFTER you see grease coming through the ball cage!

B.... install the AFT seal in the correct "non-converntional" direction (this is the seal that we want to breach excessive grease pressure). If you want to clip the seal lip..... go ahead. This is not a water tight arrangement here anyway.

C... never go crazy with the grease gun.

D... in the future, always grease the PDS bearing(s) with the engine running at idle.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Thanks for the tip Rick...

Comment

Is there adequate clearance from the flywheel adapter plate such that a large washer could be secured to that outter ring part of the casting inside the FWH with a couple of screws to retain the seal?

I'd hate to have to rely on glue to keep the seal in.

Comment

Automobile transmission bell housings often have inspection holes for easy viewing in there (albeit on the bottom). Do the FWC covers have anything like this (obviously NOT on the bottom)? Otherwise, one could possibly drill a roughly 3/4" hole in there just large enough for an inspection camera, and install a plug when not in use. Then you'd have a way to check for a breach of water/grease in that FWD seal.

Comment

rkcarguy wrote:
          Is there adequate clearance from the flywheel adapter plate such that a large washer could be secured to that outter ring part of the casting inside the FWH with a couple of screws to retain the seal?

I'd hate to have to rely on glue to keep the seal in.
          I don't know, but that's not a bad idea!

For that matter, two screw heads could retain the seal in the housing.

You can imagine that when we loose the FWD seal, this becomes the path of least resistance, then the AFT bearing receives no future grease! :thumb

Volvo Penta could have just as easily extended the housing and then machined a second snap ring groove into the housing.

As it is, they rely entirely on the friction fit of the seal, and hope that the AFT seal is installed correctly.

So far, the glue idea seems to work.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Perhaps one could install a couple set screws from the side, rather than on the vertical front face/lip? I've got allen-type set screws like this for something I use fairly routinely at work, and while not a FWC, the principle would be exactly the same. I've also got something else in which 3 allen screws are used to suspend and align something in place (rather than simply hold in place).

Comment

Working...
            X