Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstall Alpha 1 Gen II-gctid389743

Hello BOC,

Lot's of maintenance on my 2001 Ciera 2455 this spring. I have been troubleshooting intermittent temp issues (alarms) so I removed both exhaust manifolds/risers and cleaned them. Installed in late 2008, ( boat used in brackish water ) flushed regularly with Salt Away. The manifolds looked servicable. The port side was leaking into the exhaust ports determined by water coming out of my #3 cylinder during a compression test.

Replaced the manis/fired up the boat on the muffs, ran fine ( also replaced plugs/wires/coil) SB riser approx 20 degrees higher than port based on an IR temp guage, which I think is normal.

So, lastly, I wanted to replace the impeller as it hasn't been done since 2008. Pull the outdrive, replaced the impeller, now I'm struggling with getting the outdrive reinserted. It seems the shaft isn't aligned and is halting there, ( based on origin of the thud when inserting ).

I tried for quite some time last night and bagged it. Enlisted the help of a neighbor, who suggested I bump the motor to sync up the shafts.

I'm typically a by the book guy, with a full set of manuals. Manual indicates to turn the prop shaft counter clockwise to help align the U joint shaft spline, this seems to have an intermittent effect. Merc service manual # 14, page 2A-9. Meaning,when I turn the prop shaft the U joint spline doesn't always rotate, I have to play with the shift shaft coupler to get the U joint shaft to engage, it seems to cease rotation when pressure is removed.

I'd love to get my boat in the water this weekend, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

John aka Baycrazy

You really need t o put the alignment tool in to check the outdrive alignment before going any further. Even if you didn't move anything you really should do this. WHen my outdrive wouldn't align correctly they had to partially remove the motor and change a bad coupler. It is the piece behind the motor and before the outdrive that connects the two together and can go bad and sometimes it's almost like is "bent" because the shafts were not aligned properly before. Once you take it apart "it don't wanna go back!"

Anyway, not the first to run into this. Two ways to check the alignment. The correct way is with an alignmnet tool that you can get online pretty cheap. It's basically a big piece of machined stainless steel. The other, and I am not saying this is the right way at all but I actually had a mechanic tell me this, is to get the tailshaft off of a "old" Alpha and use that to check it. The problem with this method is you cant mark it with grease to see which way you need to adjust the motor. BTW, I never went to that mechanic again as I figured if a certified Merc shop was doing that, I would take my business somewhere else! ha

If you still can't get this aligned, it's probably the coupler. If it is the coupler it usually is very hhard to get the outdrive off in the first place.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I'll give it another try this morning. I've made some calls, can't get it looked at until end of next week or so..

The drive did come off with out much force, being my first time. I have nothing to compare it to..

So much for boating today :-(

Comment

Jeff wrote:
        You really need t o put the alignment tool in to check the outdrive alignment before going any further. Even if you didn't move anything you really should do this. WHen my outdrive wouldn't align correctly they had to partially remove the motor and change a bad coupler. It is the piece behind the motor and before the outdrive that connects the two together and can go bad and sometimes it's almost like is "bent" because the shafts were not aligned properly before. Once you take it apart "it don't wanna go back!"

Anyway, not the first to run into this. Two ways to check the alignment. The correct way is with an alignmnet tool that you can get online pretty cheap. It's basically a big piece of machined stainless steel. The other, and I am not saying this is the right way at all but I actually had a mechanic tell me this, is to get the tailshaft off of a "old" Alpha and use that to check it. The problem with this method is you cant mark it with grease to see which way you need to adjust the motor. BTW, I never went to that mechanic again as I figured if a certified Merc shop was doing that, I would take my business somewhere else! ha

If you still can't get this aligned, it's probably the coupler. If it is the coupler it usually is very hhard to get the outdrive off in the first place.

Jeff
        +1 good response Jeff

Comment

Silly Question but is your shifter in foreward as is needed?

http://www.mercstuff.com/alpharemoval.htm

Great pics of a pre and alpha one removal and reinstall.
          Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Thread update: I phoned all the locals and no one could get me in until the end of next week.

I went at it again this morning and was able to get it OK.

I built this cart, it works but doesn't offer fine adjustment. I put the old impeller behind the yoke to raise it a tad, kept pressure on the prop shaft so a counterclock wise turn would turn the drive spline. When it got it to the thud point, I applied CCW pressure on the prop shaft and it went in.

Attached a pic of my prop stand.

She fired, OK ( after a few turns with the kill switch off ) flow was the same, diminished on the SB side contrasted to port.

Went to hook up the truck and my brake went to the floor, weird I just drove it yesterday to West Marine. Brake fluid poured out underneath... have a neighbor launching me Sunday. Good, bad and ugly, but come Sunday it won't matter.

Thanks all!!

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/693558=28516-034.jpg[/img]

Comment

Just as an FYI (you may already know this) you only need to remove the lower 1/2 of the drive to service the impeller.
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X