Battery switch question - 1999 2655-gctid388812

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery switch question - 1999 2655-gctid388812

My new boat has a battery switch, but I'm confused. I would think that battery 2 should be used to run lights, etc and 1 should be for starting. But when I switch to 1, I am still able to turn the cabin lights on. Am I wired wrong, or is this normal?

Not only is this normal, it is correct.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It is a battery isolation switch. You get to control which battery supplies power to the entire 12 volt system on your boat. There are different variations of switch arrangements that get discussed here often.....Your boat is the same as mine and probably has a fairly typical 2 battery, 1 switch arrangement.

You get to use one of your batteries for starting and the other for the "house". If you spend time away from shorepower and drain one battery with your fridge,lights,stereo, etc.... you have a second battery isolated to get you home.

Comment

The purpose of the battery switch is so you can isolate a battery from being discharged. When running, have both on to charge the two batteries. When stopped listening to tunes, switch to one. That way you can still start the engine with the other. Which is which depends on the type of batteries you have. Most have a starter (car style), and a deep cycle (boat style). HTH

Comment

Actually Rickster, thats not quite right. Only if both batteries are the same type, age, and size is it a good idea to use the "both" position. What is actually recommended is to use "1" to start, and run for a while. When you stop, switch to "2". When ready to go again, start on "2" (if its not dead), leave it in this position while you use the boat to recharge this battery.

Another way is if you have a seperate "house" bank and a "starting" bank. Start and run on "1" for a couple of minutes to recharge the small starting load, switch to "2" and leave it there for the rest of the day. Battery "1" will always be in reserve for starting.

"Both" position is more like a jumper cable to combine both banks if both are weak. The major problem with using the "both" position, is forgetting to switch back to 1 or 2, thus killing both batteries.

Comment

I should clarify, battery one is a marine starting battery, battery two is a marine deep cycle.

Switching it while running sounds downright dangerous, considering the placement of the switch in the engine compartment. So I will switch it to both while starting and running, and switch it to two when the engine is off.

That sound right?

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

The switch that you describe sounds like an MBSS (main battery selector switch.... 1/ALL/2/OFF).

It allows us to "select" which bank we wish to operate all 12 vdc power from.

Typically Merc will power their trim pump directly from one battery.

Other than perhaps a Trim Tab pump, either battery bank will power all else when selected.

In step with post #5:

When cranking, use the #1 cranking battery.

Allow this battery to charge while you warm the engine up......, then switch to #2 while under way.

This keeps the #1 battery up to snuff, and in "reserve".

Either battery bank will take the alternator charge when the MBSS makes that bank the selected "source".

Since the size and type between the two banks are not the same, I believe that it's best to charge individually, rather than combining (ALL/BOTH).

Your call on that!

As mentioned, if you crank your engine up, and allow it to charge the #1 bank while it is warming up, you should not need any further charge to #1.

One exception would be if your engine requires excessive cranking... in which case you should address that issue anyway!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
              X