2004 185 Runabout speedometer issue-gctid388781

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 185 Runabout speedometer issue-gctid388781

Hello, I'm the new owner of a 2004 Bayliner 185 Runabout, 3.0L 135hp motor...and I'm having a speedometer issue. The gentleman that sold me the boat said he had the speedo serviced before winter storage, and was then not able to see if the issue was resolved after that. We both took the boat out and it was apparent it was not fixed as the speedo only read 0 mph the whole time. He promptly called the mechanic back but he is seeming to be hard to reach...

...Is there anything I can check for withot paying $100 an hour labor to grt it fixed? The local yacht place I called said its probably plugged...where do I check for this? I don't know if it's the one year that was electronically controlled like he asked however. Although the gentleman I bought it from stated the mechanic told him he just had to fiddle with the "adjustment screws".

Any help?! New boat owner!! ......Thanks!!!

If it is the tube style and it works with pressure it is located on your drive on the side facing the transom. you will see a small hole that might be plugged with dirt or it might not be plugged in under the dash.

Comment

Thank you for your response! I will investigate this when I get home and reply back!

Comment

It is a clear tube that runs from your speedo and hooks up at your drive. this info is useless if you have an electronic guage

Comment

I'll be looking at it soon, but as far as electronic... All I know is that the speedometer is analog with a gauge and needle...not sure if there are electronics involved...unless by electronic you mean a digital display - then no it doesn't have one of those. I hope its just plugged up..

Comment

If the tube was disconnected under the dash you would have water on your feet underway.

Take off the tube from under the dash connected to the speedo. Put compressed air to the tube will shoot out any dirt or whatever clogging the speedo pickup.

The tube could be black, clear, or blue.
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Ok I blew out both from right at the speedo... And at the quick connect at the lower unit........... Clean as a whistle. Nothing at all came out. I have attached a picture of the back of the speedo... I have yet to replace the zip tie on the hose, but am wondering if the knob like thing between the two wire connections plays any role in this as the tube was clear.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/692436=28419-2012-06-05 16.15.25.jpg[/img]

Comment

Well I got everything hooked up and I blew into the tube from the lower unit and I got a reading on the speedometer of up to 10mph my wife says (from just blowing into it myself). Maybe I did clear something out of there that I didn't see... Might just have to get it on the water again and see what happens. Im taking it out this saturday... Ill repost my results then.

I still would like to know what that knob on the backside of the gauge is though.

Comment

Is to provide access to change the bulb if so equipped?

Comment

Hmmm could be.. I didnt touch it really. Maybe ill try and pull it.

Comment

The grey knob is the bulb holder which illuminates your guage face. Push in and turn it then pull out the bulb which will be mounted to the knob. Check the bulb to make sure it works. Unless you operate your boat at night you would not know it's condition.

Comment

It holds the bulb.
                        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

One thing to note, pitot tube speedometers are notoriously inaccurate. Almost anything can plug the hole or the tube, and usually they don't register anything at all below 10-15 knots. Their only value is as something cool looking to plug the big round hole someone drilled in the dash to match the tach.

Comment

a good use for that hole in the helm is to replace the speedo-placeholder with a Xintex fuel vapor monitor. I've yet to be on a boat where such a pitot tube speedo was working in a way that it would have been worth looking at it. When I redo my helm coming winter the speedo will be gone and the hose blocked at the engine. I may even fill the hole at the outdrive to make sure no water comes in. Even a flashing LED instead of the speedo won't have less information value.....

On my current boat the speedo shows nothing, then goes to 20mph and fluctuates a bit. GPS shows quite some different values.

Comment

Working...
                            X