Micro Switch ??-gctid387964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micro Switch ??-gctid387964

Mydock neighbor is hoping to launch next weekend . Just bought new to him boat. 1987 Larson , Mercruiser 260 with alpha one drive. It stalls when shifting into reverse. Can anybody tell me how to troubleshoot this ?

Thank You

Kevin

Shift interrupter switch comes to mind...

It lowers RPM to make the shift, but when it fails, it lowers too much.
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

If the micro switch is not going or sticking, and the rpm in gear on a warm motor is within specs say 600-700 rpm then i would say the lower shift cable is going.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thank You'

Today he discovered the shift cable is sticking but only in reverse. Say's this is triggering the switch long enough to kil the engine. He's considering taking it to the dealer. I'm thinking it isn't a big job and the dealer may have a long waiting list on June 3rd? Any Thoughts ?

Kevin

Comment

The older Merc shift plates were not very good and there is a new design available that is a huge improvement. Look at the shift plate (where the cables come together, and the microswitch is) and see if it has a black plastic tube like the one below. If not, it's the old style and it should be replaced. Last time I did one it was $90 for the whole thing, including a new switch.

Comment

Corrosion on the the drive end of the cable most likely. The drive has to come off... the drive has to be re-aligned, still on the hard saved him 200 bucks because the boat has not been launched yet.90 bucks for the cable is the cheap part 10 bucks for the gasket... labor who knows.

2 hours tops from the time the boat touch's the trailer in the water till the boat slips back into the water.

He just bought this boat with this problem ?
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

It's almost guaranteed to be a lower shift cable problem. I've seen it be the cable itself (at the drive) or the routing of the cable (too tight a turn radius) can cause binding as well. It's a 2 hour job for a pro.

The drive needs to be removed, but the drive does not need realignment for this procedure, but it's probably due anyway (It should be checked every year). It takes 2 seconds to check it with an alignment bar.

In can be difficult to get the adjustment on the cable correct. When I've done mine, it usually needs a sea trial to dial it right in completely. What happens is it has to be right in the middle to shift correctly into forward and reverse. Not adjusted correctly, it will shift into one or the other well, and just click on the dog clutches the other way.

Chay

Comment

Thanks for all the replys and help. We pulled the drive and found the cable corroded down were it slide out from its own casing... kinda difficult to describe but I'm guessing you can see what I'm trying to say. We cleaned it and lubed the cable, reinstalled the drive and a weeks worth of frustration out of his head. Going to order a cable to be on safe side. ( he has trailer so he can set up his dock ) Pull the drive off in the marina parking lot and replace. ( YA Right ) ! 10 bucks it sits in the boat till the off season! Anyway its a new to him boat , I didn't ask price or anything about the deal. We will see Saturday how good the adjustment is. In my short few years I have learned what works on land may not at sea.

Thank You :worth

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X