Jabsco toilet help-gctid387352

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jabsco toilet help-gctid387352

I can't figure this one out. 2 seasons ago, the 29120-3000 manual toilet didn't work correctly - it would not pull fresh water when asked. So I removed the valve cover, gasket, cam, piston (entire assembly) lubed it up and it kind of worked for a while, but intermittently. So, I replaced the whole toilet - new. $157.00 from West Marine. The new unit worked for a couple outings, then started the intermittent thing again. After two outings this year, it has stopped drawing water all together. We've been pouring cups from the sink as the rinse. Since there is no below water line sea inlet, I assume it is fed from the fresh water tank (I haven't traced the plumbing), requiring me to have the fresh water pump on in order to flush. Things are still not working. My other strange and potentially related issue is the fresh water holding tank vent. It no long overflows (vents) when I fill it. When adding fresh water and the tank gets nearly full, it burps and belches out water and air from the fill inlet, then is able to take more water on. After several rounds of this the tank fills completely. I used high pressure (50psi) water to push out any obstruction in the vent line - to no avail. She is still a burper. With nothing (water or air) coming out of the vent.

These two situations seem to correlate when the fresh water tank vents properly (last year) the toilet accepts water properly. HELP!!!
    1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
    1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
    1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
    Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
    South Bay Marina

I personally have never seen a toilet hooked up from the factory to the potable water tank. I suggest you trace it down however if you look under the stairs leading out of the cabin I think you will find the thru hull and valve. That being said it may be almost fully closed or simply full of crud accumulation over time.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

If that is the case, which I doubt, would trace that line back to the water tank. Not sure if I would trust any valve in the system that was supposed to keep toiled water from entering potable water source. Bet there is an inlet or seaccock somewhere

Comment

I too am of the opinion you have a seacock that you haven't found yet. Look in the well under the step, and in the well under the aft bed. It would be very rare for the toilet to pick up water from the fresh tank.

I've also had trouble with the seals on the piston of the toilet drawing water. It's a common complaint with marine toilets. I had to put an oversized O ring on one toilet, and then the water draw was better.

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
          I personally have never seen a toilet hooked up from the factory to the potable water tank. I suggest you trace it down however if you look under the stairs leading out of the cabin I think you will find the thru hull and valve. That being said it may be almost fully closed or simply full of crud accumulation over time.
          I will take a look. I've aready thoroughly looked at each side and on the transom of the boat and there are no outlet/inlets below the water line. (other than the brass drain plug) If there is a below water line inlet, it would have to be on the very bottom of the boat, probably under one of the trailer bunks where it isn't visible. Is that possible? I will check under the stairs for a sea cock/thru hull and crawl under the trailer tonight. Thanks.

South Bay Marina

Comment

Let's assume it is connected to the potable water and if so I would say a previous owner did this. That being the case and the way you describe your water problems it is simply a plugged vent or vent hose or kinked vent hose. I have found by replacing the vent rather than trying to repair it is an easier route as they are under $20. Common issues here are bugs and spiders filling the hole or even mud wasps. If you are changing the vent, might as well change the vent line as it is only vinyl tubing. A quick test to see if this is the case, remove the filler cap and now try flushing as you now have the best vent ever and it would now be impossible to create a vacuum in the tank.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
              Let's assume it is connected to the potable water and if so I would say a previous owner did this. That being the case and the way you describe your water problems it is simply a plugged vent or vent hose or kinked vent hose. I have found by replacing the vent rather than trying to repair it is an easier route as they are under $20. Common issues here are bugs and spiders filling the hole or even mud wasps. If you are changing the vent, might as well change the vent line as it is only vinyl tubing. A quick test to see if this is the case, remove the filler cap and now try flushing as you now have the best vent ever and it would now be impossible to create a vacuum in the tank.
              Remove the cap and flush - great advice, will do. Thanks!
              South Bay Marina

Comment

JABSCO Freshwater flush models (requires flow of at least 2.9 gpm)and need an electric solenoid valve and siphon breaker to prevent backflow into freshwater pressure system;

Comment

gary1p wrote:
                  JABSCO Freshwater flush models (requires flow of at least 2.9 gpm)and need an electric solenoid valve and siphon breaker to prevent backflow into freshwater pressure system;
                  Even Manual models? I didn't have a chance to diagnos my problem or even look for the seacock this past weekend. But this makes sense. I'll locate the solenoid valve and make sure it's getting powered up with the freshwater pump switch and that it's operating properly.
                  South Bay Marina

Comment

Okay folks, the masses were correct. Sea cock and thru hull found underneath the steps. I always assumed the shower pump, forward bilge pump and fresh water pump were directly behind/under the head sink. The steps are removable - I've learned. Now my problem.

I can not get the head to prime. I removed the (2) clamps at the thru hull and was able to confirm the hose to the head and thru hull are both open, by blowing through each. I attempted to pump the head while the admiral drove the boat at 5 mph forward and then backward - to no avail. I unhooked the fill tube at the head and primed it with several cups of water, which just seemed to flow out the thru hull, so I quickly filled, plugged with my thumb and hooked it back up to the head. NOTHING. This is a new head as of last season and still problem. The same problems I had with the original head. WTH.

Thanks for the advise on a plugged fresh water tank vent. Mud bees had it plugged completely. Removed the chrome/stainless vent fitting, cleaned out the mud and voila' No more burping while filling.
                    South Bay Marina

Comment

Working...
                    X