New prop option-gctid386965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New prop option-gctid386965

I have a 89 Capri with the Ford 2.3l l-4.

It had the stock prop with was a 3 blade 13.5" x 17 pitch. I may be off .25" on the size.

Last time out last season I managed to find a rock and marred the prop a little.

I wold like to change the prop a little to give me more low to mid power.

We typically use the boat with 3-4 adults and the 2 kids. We pull a towable.

With that many people I can only get the boat up to 10 MPH gps. It doesn't even get close to plane. I couldn't tell you the max RPM at WOT.

When my wife and I went out by ourselves it ran up great but I didn't have my gps and I'm not sure the tach is super accurate. New tach is on my list of goodies for it this season.

I would like to tweek the prop to at least get it on plane while still carrying our typical load of people.

I understand by changing the prop I will either get a better low end or better top end.

Which way do I want to go to get me a better mid range?

We live in Colorado so it's not like I need the boat to go 50 mph.

Thanks for any help. If I left something out please let me know.

Matt

How long is your capri?

What altitude are you boating at?

That 2.3 is underpowed to start with, add some altitude, waterlogged foam, 4 adults (unknown weight), two kids (unknown weight), and unknown condition of engine. well just too many variables.

Not to mention you are unsure of the engines WOT. Anything you do will be a guess.

Start with checking the engine, compression test, TAT test, etc.

Comment

Wingman wrote:
      How long is your capri?

What altitude are you boating at?

That 2.3 is underpowed to start with, add some altitude, waterlogged foam, 4 adults (unknown weight), two kids (unknown weight), and unknown condition of engine. well just too many variables.

Not to mention you are unsure of the engines WOT. Anything you do will be a guess.

Start with checking the engine, compression test, TAT test, etc.
      Thanks Wingman

Yeah, I knew this was going to be a hard question to answer without having the wot numbers. The sticker on the boat says 800 pounds between 6 occupants. My wife and I plus inlaws puts us around 750ish pounds. Plus 150 pounds of kids, PLUS I carry a small toolbox of tools (can't help it, it's the boyscout in me). I figured out a few weeks ago that I always filled the fuel up before we would go out. Now it makes no sense to me for doing that. The lake we go to is not big at all. No need to have 30 gallons of fuel weighing it down more.

I plan on swapping in a Petronix ignition and an aftermarket tach in a few weeks.

We are in Denver so we are right around 5000-5500 feet above sea level.

Thanks

Comment

Had that same boat for 6 years. First you are far to high geared!! Ditch the 17 pitch for a 14/15 you will notice a big difference.

Comment

Working...
        X