1986 2850 AQ290 outdrive-gctid386810

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 2850 AQ290 outdrive-gctid386810

I have a 1986 2850 Contessa with a 350 GMC, 250 HP engine and a Volvo Penta AQ290 Outdrive. The outdrive has numerous issues and is unrepairable according to my mechanic. I'm having issues locating a replacement unit. I think I may have located one but I'm not sure of the gear ratio. Does anyone know what the correct ratio is for this unit. And if anyone knows where I may be able to find a replacement, I would appreciate that info also.

mmakoid wrote:
    I have a 1986 2850 Contessa with a 350 GMC, 250 HP engine and a Volvo Penta AQ290 Outdrive. The outdrive has numerous issues and is unrepairable according to my mechanic. I'm having issues locating a replacement unit. I think I may have located one but I'm not sure of the gear ratio. Does anyone know what the correct ratio is for this unit. And if anyone knows where I may be able to find a replacement, I would appreciate that info also.
    In 1986, this was likely not a 290 drive. Can you post photos of it for us?

Many shops do not want AQ series repair work. They'd rather replace the drive than work on them.

Can you post the work scope for me?

In other words, just what is it that he suggesting is wrong and/or needs repair?

Your engine determines the ratio.

The correct ratio for a single prop drive is 1.61:1, of which is a very common AQ series Volvo Penta V-8 single prop ratio.

I'll check back when you post photos and info.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I have a great condition AQ series lower unit with the proper gear ratio for a GM 350. If you are interested in it, PM me.

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/690438=28269-VP.jpg[/img]Besides the obvious corrosion, the original issue was water in the unit. While removing oil was also found in the bellows. There is a piece of metal missing in the upper unit which has not been found yet. The prop shaft is clnking and wobbling when rotated.

Comment

Here is what the first generation 290 looks like. They are showing both the s/p and DP drives.

The center image is showing where they break apart for a swap to the Duo Prop lower unit.

Here is what a rare 290 or SP-A Non-Power trim drive looks like. Some say that this is non-existant.

Here is a 280 PT drive.

Here is a standard 280 drive.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Looks like we posted one minute apart from each other.

OK.... that is indeed a 290 drive.

Question: did you see this drive installed on this boat at one time, or did it come with a project boat?

I ask, because by all rights, I don't think that this was an option in 1986 on a Bayliner boat.

If it was installed, we'd best also look at the transom shield and the hydraulic cylinders.

Post those photos also when you have time.

These parts can be picked up without breaking the boat bank.

Here's what I'd look for if I were you:

A 290 Intermediate section, suspension fork, and anchorage bracket... and the latch unit.

Find a 280, 275 or 290 transmission from a 4 cylinder boat. These transmissions have not seen V-8 torque or hp.

If you find a V-8 transmission, look at the main drive gear bearings. Many are due for these two bearings to be replaced by now.

The 1.61:1 lower unit can be a 280, 290, or even a 275. Must be the 1.61:1 ratio... no other will work!

Perhaps ask Ed what he wants for his 1.61:1 lower.

You can mix/match these components with the first generation 290 Intermediate housing. No issues, just remember that they must be re-shimmed correctly.

Have the entire drive re-sealed..... get this out of your way. You won't have to do it again for many years.

Pull the engine and remove the PDS, and replace the two bearings and the two seals.

When it comes time to install the new/used mixed/matched drive components....., we can talk about the absolutely necessary shimming procedure.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:

Here is a standard 280 drive.

I have this same complete unit that I'm selling if you are interested. It's been water tight and I bought the transmission from Rick a few years ago, which is in really nice shape too. Not sure where you are, but shipping is easy enough... let me know if you're interested.

In fact, this is coming off a boat I no longer use and have anything you might need from it for sale.

Comment

I'd still like to either see your transom shield, or have you confirm that this 290 was installed on the boat.

Either way....., the following may be a good suggestion for you.

Gilligan wrote:
                I have this same complete unit that I'm selling if you are interested. .................

In fact, this is coming off a boat I no longer use and have anything you might need from it for sale.
                Good point!

Mike's drive can be made to work with your 290 suspension fork..... if your suspension fork is OK.

The SS Anchorage brackets never wear out. If you have yours, it should be re-usuable.

If you do not have one, I do, and it would be for sale.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X