Stiff gear shifters-gctid386438

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiff gear shifters-gctid386438

I have just purchased a 2000 Maxum 3300 which I presume is very much like a Bayliner.

It has the throttle and gear shifts combined and I am having trouble docking due to the stiffness of the controls.

Is there something which can be done to lubricate the cables etc. or does this mean replacing the cables?

I ended up replacing my controls and cables with all new Teleflex unit in order to cure my stiffness problems - may have been overkill, but they work great now!

Comment

+1 on the Teleflex switch---if you're using the stock plastic Quicksilver shifters they're miserable. If that's not the case, you can go from the back shifter leg and work it manually and start forward to determine where it's binding.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I checked my boat and unfortunately found that I have Quicksilver shifters.

Any ideas on the cost to replace with Teleflex?

AL 2000 Maxum 3300

Comment

Both of my shifters were stiff last year. I disconnected the cables to the drives at the intermidiate point on the engines. At that point both shifters moved easily at the helm. So I was convinced it was the lower shift cables that were stiff.

I had both lower shift cables to the drives replaced this spring. It helped on one side but not both.

So I may be looking at the Teleflex replacement as well. Wfarr I looked for your thread regarding the replacement you did but could not find it.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

This is the unit that I went with. Add for cables and install.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...040&id=1364363

Comment

The lower shift cables are usually the first to cause a problem, and that's what you should replace first. I just did mine; shifting went from awful to perfect/instant.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                The lower shift cables are usually the first to cause a problem, and that's what you should replace first. I just did mine; shifting went from awful to perfect/instant.
                That is what I did but with mixed results.
                Jim McNeely
                Brighton, Michigan USA
                MMSI # 367393410

Comment

wfarr wrote:
                  This is the unit that I went with. Add for cables and install.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...040&id=1364363
                  Thanks for the link. Did you have a thread discussing the install ?
                  Jim McNeely
                  Brighton, Michigan USA
                  MMSI # 367393410

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                    Thanks for the link. Did you have a thread discussing the install ?
                    Sorry Jim, I don't. I bought the controls and turned them over to my marina who installed them along with the new cables. I am not certain if the company in the link is who I purchased them from, as it was over a year ago. I am very happy with them, and I had them installed with the chrome trim pieces. I would like to see a texture on the grips instead of the smooth plastic that is there, otherwise, they feel and look like quality. I also prefer the location and feel of the trim switches when compared to stock.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                      Do you have what size/type cables you installed? Mine are stiff as hell and a pita to work with.

Comment

They are just called Bravo lower shift cables. I went with the one they call "extreme." The new ones have an internal cable that appears to be coated in Teflon or something like that, while the old ones were plain steel. I would expect much longer life and less friction.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/825...-18-2604e.html

Remember to use the BOC link if you're going to buy from them.

Comment

Working...
                        X