back to the masters...Temp. question-gctid386335

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back to the masters...Temp. question-gctid386335

I am back to the grand masters of Bayliner/penta expertise.....I have an older 2270 Bayliner with volvo penta 125b/231...I have had several successes in the water, but one thing that still seems to be sticking....The temperature reading...my guage usually maxs out rights away...and occasionally has not wroked at all. I am sure its electrical and possibly a ground issue.....but I am not having success in chasing it down...hope to hear from folks..thanks

First thought... Did you inspect the sending unit on the engine? Is it a clean connection? I doubt its a problem at the dash.
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

simple check is to get an infared thermometer, this one is $39 at Home Depot.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689925=28216-ir therm.jpg[/img]Point it at the thermostat housing on the engine, it will accurately tell you the temp, compare that to the dash gauge.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.....I have tried several sending units....and I have actually used the Infared gadget...but the problem isn't the accuracy of the temp guage as much as the erratic flip flop of the thing....MAX out instantly....I am hoping to find reason for this....ed

Comment

If you disconnect the wire at the sensor (usually called temperature sender) on the engine and ground it momentarily, the gauge on the dashboard should peg to max reading.

Sounds like you have a short on the wiring somewhere if it jumps to full deflection and back for no reason.

Comment

It's likely the wire is chaffed, maybe try running a new one just across the deck from the guage to the sensor and see if it fixes it(with old one unhooked of course). If so then snake the new wire into the harness.

Comment

Working...
            X