What is the box behind the ciera breaker panel ?-gctid385986

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the box behind the ciera breaker panel ?-gctid385986

What is the unit behind the electrical panel in a cierra ? Voltage regulator or surge suopressor ?

I have a fan that is plugged in to the shorepower receptacle and noticed it was slowing down intermittently. I took the breaker panel off and made sure all the connections were tight and i found that one of the terminal nuts was loose on the unit behind the breaker panel. I tightened the terminal now all is fine.

What color wire was connected to the box ?
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

The box behind the power panel should be the galvanic isolator a.k.a. Zinc Saver. If so, it should have green and yellow striped cables connecting to it.

Modern standards require the shore earth wire to be connected to your boatÔÇÖs bonding system which is also connected to the hull / anodes / tanks / engine / shafts / etc. This ensures that any faults will operate the R.C.B on the boat in order to save your life. However, this means that any earth problem on shore or any other boat will increase the earth voltage and dissolve your boat and anodes at an alarming rate. Also, because all the boats are now one, if you have a zinc anode on your boat but no one else has or the marina has not put anodes on its structures (metal pontoons etc) then your boat's zinc will protect all the structures and boats around you, resulting in dramatic zinc loss and expensive lift-outs to replace the zinc. To overcome this, you install a galvanic isolatorwhich maintains a good earth link to shore but prevents stray currents coming up the earth line and damaging the boat.

That said, I may be wrong because I am surprised that a loose earth would cause your fan to slow down?

Comment

EugeneR wrote:
        The box behind the power panel should be the galvanic isolator a.k.a. Zinc Saver. If so, it should have green and yellow striped cables connecting to it.

Modern standards require the shore earth wire to be connected to your boat's bonding system which is also connected to the hull / anodes / tanks / engine / shafts / etc. This ensures that any faults will operate the R.C.B on the boat in order to save your life. However, this means that any earth problem on shore or any other boat will increase the earth voltage and dissolve your boat and anodes at an alarming rate. Also, because all the boats are now one, if you have a zinc anode on your boat but no one else has or the marina has not put anodes on its structures (metal pontoons etc) then your boat's zinc will protect all the structures and boats around you, resulting in dramatic zinc loss and expensive lift-outs to replace the zinc. To overcome this, you install a galvanic isolatorwhich maintains a good earth link to shore but prevents stray currents coming up the earth line and damaging the boat.

That said, I may be wrong because I am surprised that a loose earth would cause your fan to slow down?
        That is why I asked about the wire color without offering the info about the Galvonic Isolator.
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Working...
        X