Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part Number Needed for Impeller-gctid385839

Hello Everyone-

I just purchased a 1978 Bayliner Saratoga.

I can't figure out exactly what Volvo-Penta Engine it has... It is either a Chevy 305 or a Chevy 350. (I can't find the tag). It does have a Rochester Quadrajet on top. Attached are some engine pics. I am trying to find the part number for the fresh water impeller. I can read that it is a Jabsco both on the impeller and on the impeller cover plate. The impeller measures 1.990 inches deep by 2 and 1/4 inches in diameter. Any ideas on a part number? Also where is a good place to purchase them... how much should I expect to pay?

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689372=28151-DVC00004.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689372=28150-DVC00005.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689372=28149-DVC00006.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/689372=28148-DVC00007.jpg[/img]

Dave,

Your engine is more than probably a chev 350 or a 307 as I don,t think GM made 305 that year. Where do you live in AZ.? If you live in

Phoenix you could go to West Marine if you need it right away or you can go on line they will be much cheaper. Just search Jabasco

Impeller and you will find pictures of your impeller. The raw water pump doesn,t have anything to do with the type of engine you have

as it was installed after engine was built by the people that put on the marine parts. I just recieved three new impellers from a company

called Boatersplus.com and they were the best price. Hope this helps.

Arizona Bob
    Arizona Bob & Sandy
    1990 3888 Bayliner
    Purchased new
    Twin 175 Hino's
    630 Hurth Trans
    Westerbeke Generator

Comment

I am in Phoenix- Right near Greenway High School.

I'll try Boatersplus.com as I am doing a pretty full restoration. Tried West Marine- They had to order it but would not give me a part number.

Where are you?

Dave

Comment

Google the pump # .............. or with the pump #, look here.

For about $140 you can replace this pump with a brand new Johnson F6B-9 pump.

New housing, new impeller, new cam, new bearing, new everything... and uses the very common 1027 impeller.

Your Raw Water cooled SBC would have typically used the small volume pump anyway.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Arizona Bob wrote:

Your engine is more than probably a chev 350 or a 307 as I don,t think GM made 305 that year. Where do you live in AZ.? If you live in

Phoenix you could go to West Marine if you need it right away or you can go on line they will be much cheaper. Just search Jabasco

Impeller and you will find pictures of your impeller.
          The raw water pump doesn,t have anything to do with the type of engine you have

as it was installed after engine was built by the people that put on the marine parts.
          Bob, I wish that it was that simple.

His Jabsco pump appears to be the large volume pump.

The 1.990" impeller depth dimension is a give-a-way.

The smaller volume pump was typically seen on the raw water cooled Volvo Penta SBC engines.

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...vious threads, I explained that this pump impeller (1.990") is often confused with a certain Johnson impeller (1.900"), and that parts counter people mistake the two. They look almost identical!

Wrong impeller.... no water flow.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick,

I agree that it is most likely the 1.990 impeller- What I really need it the part number for that 1.990 impeller-

I found this Jabsco Impeller 13554-001P and the depth is listed at 1 inch and 15/16. 15/16=.9375... which is right between the 1.9 and the 1.990. I can find no other sizes listed for the Jabsco that are close.

The only thing I can read on the old impeller is the name Jabsco. The numbers on the actual pump are not legible.

Comment

Dave, three bolts hold this pump to the crankshaft balancer, and there will be one torque brace bolt.

Four bolts loose, two disconnected hoses, and it's off in your hands.

While off and on your work bench, you can better examine the inside, the cam, the thrust surface, and the bearings.

If all is OK, take the entire pump with you when you pick up an impeller.

If the impeller sits just proud of the face landing (by a few thousandths) then you have the correct impeller.

If not, then keep looking.

Like said earlier, for only $140 +/-, you can replace this pump with a Johnson F6B-9 pump.

NOTE: with any of these, there are three mounting bolts, and several dowel alignment bores.

The three mounting bolts would suggest three possible mounting positions.... NOT so!

There is only ONE correct mounting position, so watch how the dowels align the base flange to the pulley.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
              X