Worst Day Ever - OMC Cobra 5.7 - Bayliner Cobra 2250-gctid385739

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst Day Ever - OMC Cobra 5.7 - Bayliner Cobra 2250-gctid385739

Decided to take my 1988 Bayliner Cobra out for the first trip of the year, to test the new gauges and just get a run in before I take it up country for my week long fishing trip in 2 weeks.

Long story short, water pickup tube popped off, boat filled with a *hit ton of water, and I ended up loosing oil pressure and the motor died.

It seems like such a minor thing, could have possibly resolved it and been fine, but in the moment I wasn't thinking too clearly and this is what I get for it. Panic kicks in and everything goes down hill. There is ZERO oil in the motor, but the water never ended up high enough to go in through the carb, so I am not too sure exactly what happened. So I will start the tear down to see how bad it is. I could put new oil in and see how/if it runs, but at this point I don't want to risk it.

My question to the people on here, what should I do now? Rebuild the same type of motor (one piece rear GM 350) or look at doing an LSx type motor swap. Should I look at replacing the OMC leg while I am at it, to a Volvo SX drive? Or Bravo 1/Alpha One... What are the OMC lower units good for HP wise before I run into issues with it?

Let me know some feed back...

-Cory

Sorry to hear Cory,

Hope you get it resolved. How do you know there is no water in the pan?

Comment

oil pressure sender maybe fell off happened to my buddy, just rusted right off. Keep us posted.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I don't quite understand how the water supply hose coming off relates to no oil in the engine. Sounds like two entirely different issues.

Comment

mainecoast wrote:
          I don't quite understand how the water supply hose coming off relates to no oil in the engine. Sounds like two entirely different issues.
          +1

I don't fully understand what happened in the initial event (or 2 events).

Comment

When you say there is no oil in the motor, are you saying that it is a milk like color from water ingestion? Did you notice the temp when the oill pressure dropped to zero? If the temp was normal the loss of oil pressure at the gauge could have been caused by the water. All just guesses at this point.

I would drain the block and flush with fresh oil. You may be able to save the engine but time a critical.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I don't really know what happened either.

I know that the supply hose came off and water was everywhere, but it never got high enough to go over the intake, and I thought the only way to get water into a motor was through the carb. Once we managed to get the hose on, engine temp went down a bit, but soon after oil pressure went to 0, then the rockers got really loud and then the motor died. I don't know where the oil came out of either, but it was milky oil/water all in the boat.

Dip stick shows no oil at all (no milk colour on dip stick, looked completely clean), I have not popped the drain plug to see if a ton of water comes out or not.

Comment

Se Habla "Bilge pump?"
                Captharv 2001 2452
                "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Capt now that's funny also.

The oil just disappeared not in the bilge also ?

" IF " now that's a big " if " your oil pan was rotted out or the plug in the pan was rotted alot of water could get into the pan, but the oil will be in the bilge.

" If " there was oil in the pan to begin with. Won't be the first time someone forgot to add oil after draining the pan.
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

There was oil in it originally, oil ended up all over inside the boat, very messy.

I am assuming a head gasket went. I will see when I start tearing it down.

Comment

At this point I would put some oil in it and start it if you can. You need to see what happened to the oil. After a disassembly it is difficult to see what happened.

You just could be OK. If you have oil I wouldn't worry about additional damage.

Doug
                      Started boating 1955
                      Number of boats owned 32
                      Bayliners
                      3870 presently owned
                      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

If you are fitted with an ext oil cooler in line, you might want to check the exchanger for a leak. I agree, you can put 3 quarts of fresh oil in and try to crank it. Won't do much more damage now, and it could be that you might be able to save the engine. Surely, the bearings got hot, but if they didn't spin it could survive. Or not, maybe it seized ....

Comment

Working...
                        X