teleflex steering replacement-gctid385541

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teleflex steering replacement-gctid385541

I have a 1990 2651 ciera sun bridge and I'm replacing the teleflex steering cable on it. Here's my question: do I need to pull the helm station and steering wheel in order to get the old cable out and new one in? The bend that has to be made be the cable seems impossible to do with the dashboard and steering wheel in place.

Rotary or Rack and Pinion?
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rack and pinion.

Comment

I just replaced cable on my -91 2655.

Cable went to place without removing anything.

I just opened hatch from cave's top and pulled cable thru. Curve was very tight but it went fine.

-pete

Comment

Four bolts usually hold the rack assembly to the pinion housing. Remove those four bolts, and drop the rack housing down.

From there, the cable clamp end can be removed, and then the rack gear slides out from it's housing.

The cable can now be removed from the rack gear.

Assemble in reverse order.

Now, some rack gears come as part of the cable, and I'm not sure when this began.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Yeah, that's the situation I have, the cable is part of the rack and cant be removed. Both the rack and the cable end which attaches to the power assist are too long to thread through the small hole in the side of the boat beneath the dashboard. There is no access hatch near the hole and the only way I can see to feasibly get the old one out without cutting it, or the new one in in one piece, is to unbolt the dash and steering and slide them to port. Then I could just pull the cable straight up and slide the new one in the same way. I was just hoping there was easier way or some sort of trick to it that I just wasn't seeing.

Comment

Working...
            X