Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$1200 work on an 08 245 with 78 hours!-gctid385424

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    $1200 work on an 08 245 with 78 hours!-gctid385424

    Bayliner 245 mpi bravo 3, 78 hours, mixed in and out of water 50/50 slip vs warehouse storage. Bought 2.5 years ago. Used a dozens of times the first year had the "major yearly maint done at a big shop here (cost $500) and I've used the boat 3 times in the next 2 years... that's it. I know I know... but that temp dif between those summers here was litterally 17 degrees colder and 50+ more days of rain that summer.

    So I had a reputable mechanic do my routine maint before it drops in this year. He says he found water in the drive and its rusted to hell. He's never seen anything like it in a boat with 78 hours that's to new. He going to show me this morning what it looks like. He says its ridiculous.

    Is there anything I can do about this?

    #2
    Review your service receipts and see what was actually done. Water can enter the drive from a failed seal, loose fitting, drive lube reservoir, or a cracked housing. With all the time that has passed, it's doubtful you can get remedy form the original servicing facility.....

    Comment


      #3
      Pau Hana wrote:
      Review your service receipts and see what was actually done. Water can enter the drive from a failed seal, loose fitting, drive lube reservoir, or a cracked housing. With all the time that has passed, it's doubtful you can get remedy form the original servicing facility.....
      Thank you, I did get an exteded war on the boat from Staff Jenson (went under) and Im not sure yet if it was 2 or 3 years. Think it would cover it? I heard the local SeaRay dealer took over for them.

      Comment


        #4
        Water contamined gear oil can remain hydrogenated for quite some time.

        I'd be wanting to look at the gear oil that was removed, and also at the alleged rust damage.

        If there is rust damage, then you bite the bullet and have it repaired.

        BTW.... the 78 hours run time cannot be fairly compared to Father Time. Not unless the entire boat could somehow be dehumidified each time it is put away!

        .
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

        Comment


          #5
          tleavit wrote:
          Thank you, I did get an exteded war on the boat from Staff Jenson (went under) and Im not sure yet if it was 2 or 3 years. Think it would cover it? I heard the local SeaRay dealer took over for them.
          If you bought from Staff Jennings, the local Sea Ray dealer (Trudeaus) may step up and help, but I wouldn't expect too much from that end......all the same, call them and see what he may be able to do for you.

          Comment


            #6
            I found my war and it might be good news. It's a Bayliner/Mercruiser war offered on the boats in Fall 08. The administrator is Brunswick itself. Crossing my fingers as I pass the info to my mechanic.ÒÇÇI did look at the drive myself, he had it on his work bench, I wasn't nearly as rusted as I expect, only a light dusting of red on the shafts and such. Not sure why that can't be lubbed up real good and new bellows installed.

            Comment


              #7
              Because even light rust on mating/bearing surfaces will lead to failure.

              Comment


                #8
                Just a thought, you have to be careful leaving a B3 in the water. They will rot off the back of the boat without the proper electrical protection. Dissimilar metals = electrolysis. I doubt that is your problem here.

                Comment


                  #9
                  tleavit wrote:
                  I did look at the drive myself, he had it on his work bench, I wasn't nearly as rusted as I expect, only a light dusting of red on the shafts and such. Not sure why that can't be lubbed up real good and new bellows installed.
                  The reasoning is pretty simple. That rust is iron oxide. Iron oxide has a hardness of like 6 Mohs. Your bearings along the line of 3 Mohs. Hard stuff rubbing on soft stuff = failure.

                  That's why even a slight exposure to moisture will kill a roller or taper bearing in short order. The rust spot is markedly harder than everything around it. If the shafts are rust red... so are those various bearings in the leg. Sorry, but you have an even more expensive repair coming in the near future.
                  Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

                  iBoatNW

                  1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X