Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captharv
    replied
    As far as tranny fluid, Ford specifically recommends mercon V synthetic for that tranny.

For the OP:

The issue with not changing tranny fluid....

The trannys have a filter in them. Normal wear adn tear puts little particles in it from the clutches and bands. At some point, the filter becomes an impeadance to the flow of the fluid, which is pressurized by the trannys pump. The pressure will become less, as the filter gains crap in it. The clutches and band depend on the pressure to work, and lowered pressure does not allow them to mesh properly, and thus accelerating wear. Like riding the clutch in a manual transmission.

The dealers will tell you to change it every 30,000, and if you are towing at all, good advice.

Also, the manual is not clear on this, but do not tow in O/D. Dsable overdrive. In O/D, the engine is lugging and more so, the reduced RPMs is not circulating the tranny fluid fast enough to cool the tranny properly.

BTW, the 4R70 is the heavier duty tranny in expeditions.

What I am going by in the previous post staement, when I said the 4.6 has less towing capacity, was the manual for my vehicle. The 5.4 has 8900 with the package and equalizer. The 4.7 was 5000. When towing a 3000# bowrider, it does not matter. When you are towing closer to 4 tons, big difference.

The 5.4 is also a cast iro engine and heads. I was told that 4.6 is an aluminum block and iron heads. The 5.4 is also 3 valve and has a coil for every cylinder. A lot of low end torque for towing. I am towing about 7600 with mine, and no problems related to towing. And we have towed 250 miles, in 95* heat, with the front and rear air conditioning running.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The best advice you can get is to avoid aamco.they wanted to replace my transmission when it only had a stuck shift valve. good luck.:beer-

Leave a comment:

• FISHIN00
    replied
    If your comfortable with the vehicle, what the heck, dropping a couple of grand into it is not a problem. People who say the 4.6l is at the lower end for towing are full it! I have a 2003 F150 with a 4.6L 157k and a 2005 Jeep with a 4.7L 75K, both pull my 1802 like it is'nt even there, either of my rigs would pull your boat with ease! With the current prices the manufactor's are asking for their vehicles,dropping a few grand on a engine or tranny in a decent vehicle makes ALOT of sense in today's ecomony!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's only money, right?

Yep, dad always told me they make it round to roll and paper to burn . . .

Leave a comment:

• boatworkfl
    replied
    Flash Jorden wrote:
    So I finally took my truck to have the tranny rebuilt. Got it back last Friday.

Damage:

$2400 w/3yr-100,000 mi warranty.

Oh well, it's only money ... right?
    Not bad, I paid $1900 for a ford reconditioned 4r70w trany and converter, then did all my own work, 6 years ago.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So I finally took my truck to have the tranny rebuilt. Got it back last Friday.

Damage:

$2400 w/3yr-100,000 mi warranty.

Oh well, it's only money ... right?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For ATF, I have used Mobil1. I think thay are all good and definately handle the heat better than dino oil. Somewhere there was a truck guru who said if you could only do one thing to your trans, it would be syn fluid - over and above a cooler. Can't find it now, but I think everyone should have syn in their trans and diffs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    BLCarl wrote:
    You may want to think ahead a little

At 170K how much life is left in the rest of the truck ? Mine is at 210K. I'm very happy with it but there is a time comming when it's time to get another truck. Hopefully for me before I have to put big $$$ into it. $3-4K isn't bad if you don't have to get an engine or differential for it in the near future. With a new trans will you feel comfortable pulling a boat on a long trip out of town? I wouldn't

On the other hand trade in value on a broken truck is very bad, so I don't want to wait untill something major breaks. We can also think about fixing everything and still have less $ invested than a new one would cost.

It's a hard call for me with not too much cash laying around.
    I hear ya Carl. I've been thinking the same thing. The engine burns (and leaks) oil, so I'm constantly chasing that. So I know it's just a matter of time until that will have to be dealt with, with $$$. I was thinking of fixing it and selling it, but it's paid off, and I like the idea of no payment ($550/mo puts a dent). We were strongly considering buying a new car next year, possibly 2, as my wife really loves having a SUV, and I want my Mustang again. I have a '03 E350 15-passenger van I can use as a tow vehicle, and it's probably better suited for it. I'd need to have a tow kit installed as I'm sure the rear bumber isn't up to the task. I'd def have to practice towing and backing using such a long wheelbase tow vehicle. I dunno. Either way I spell it, it reads $$$.

-Jorden

Leave a comment:

• BLCarl
    replied
    You may want to think ahead a little

At 170K how much life is left in the rest of the truck ? Mine is at 210K. I'm very happy with it but there is a time comming when it's time to get another truck. Hopefully for me before I have to put big $$$ into it. $3-4K isn't bad if you don't have to get an engine or differential for it in the near future. With a new trans will you feel comfortable pulling a boat on a long trip out of town? I wouldn't

On the other hand trade in value on a broken truck is very bad, so I don't want to wait untill something major breaks. We can also think about fixing everything and still have less $ invested than a new one would cost.

It's a hard call for me with not too much cash laying around.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jeff H wrote:
    Sounds like the hydraulic pump and / or maybe the planetary gear (steels, friction and gears) went south.

Also with that rear end and towing, you might want to consider a higher stall converter.
    Thanks. Any suggestions? I want to maintain as much comfortable driveability as possible, as it is my wife's daily driver.

captharv wrote:
    Have the tranny rebuilt by a competant technician.

The expedition already has a tranny cooler in it. If it has the heavy duty tow package, it already has the larger cooler.

Hint: If it came from teh factory with both the 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connectors, its the H/D package. If it only has the 4 pin, the standard duty package.

Mine has the 5.4 with 4X4 and the H/D package. It rated at 8600# towing. The 4.6 is rated somewhat less.

Have the tranny fluid changed every 30K miles if you tow. IF the clutches and/or the torque converter wore out, or discombobulated, the debris is sctattered throughout the tranny. It needs to be rebuilt and the crap washed out.
    Good to know about the cooler as I was going to add one assuming it didn't. It does have the tow package, and it does have both the round 7-pin and the flat 4-pin trailer connectors. I wish I had gotten the 5.4L engine, however I never thought I'd actually be able to buy a boat. I only towed it three times since I got the boat last year. Once home, and a round trip to my first splash. I wonder if the age of the tranny accelerated it's demise. I'll also admit to having never changed the tranny fluid. An expensive mistake I won't repeat.

orca wrote:
    Put in Synthetic ATF as long as you are doing it. If the Exp has the tow package it should already have a trans cooler.
    Will do with the Synthetic ATF. Any recommendations on brand, or are they all pretty much the same?

I'll update as this saga continues, unless no one is interested as this is not directly boat related.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and the time you take to reply.

-Jorden

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sounds like the hydraulic pump and / or maybe the planetary gear (steels, friction and gears) went south.

Also with that rear end and towing, you might want to consider a higher stall converter.

Leave a comment:

• boatworkfl
    replied
    Trany fluid, check with Ford about what is required under warranty.

Leave a comment:

• captharv
    replied
    Have the tranny rebuilt by a competant technician.

The expedition already has a tranny cooler in it. If it has the heavy duty tow package, it already has the larger cooler.

Hint: If it came from teh factory with both the 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connectors, its the H/D package. If it only has the 4 pin, the standard duty package.

Mine has the 5.4 with 4X4 and the H/D package. It rated at 8600# towing. The 4.6 is rated somewhat less.

Have the tranny fluid changed every 30K miles if you tow. IF the clutches and/or the torque converter wore out, or discombobulated, the debris is sctattered throughout the tranny. It needs to be rebuilt and the crap washed out.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Put in Synthetic ATF as long as you are doing it. If the Exp has the tow package it should already have a trans cooler.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for the info. So it looks like I will be going through the complete tranny replacement. I was thinking of adding a tranny cooler anyway, so I'll make sure that gets done. I like the idea of a heavier duty tranny too. I'll head on over to the Ford Truck sites to see what my options are. I don't have a warm fuzzy about Aamco either, and will avoid them. Got a bad feeling from them the last time I needed tranny service on another vehicle. As for doing it myself, I've considered it, haven't ruled it out, but am not crazy about doing it outside in the middle of winter in my driveway. Maybe I can a local service station/center to do the labor at a resonable cost if i buy the tranny myself. Decisions, decisions ...

Thanks again everyone.

-Jorden

Leave a comment:

Working...
X