No announcement yet.

Question for auto mechanic - Tow vehicle tranny-gctid345602

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as tranny fluid, Ford specifically recommends mercon V synthetic for that tranny.

For the OP:

The issue with not changing tranny fluid....

The trannys have a filter in them. Normal wear adn tear puts little particles in it from the clutches and bands. At some point, the filter becomes an impeadance to the flow of the fluid, which is pressurized by the trannys pump. The pressure will become less, as the filter gains crap in it. The clutches and band depend on the pressure to work, and lowered pressure does not allow them to mesh properly, and thus accelerating wear. Like riding the clutch in a manual transmission.

The dealers will tell you to change it every 30,000, and if you are towing at all, good advice.

Also, the manual is not clear on this, but do not tow in O/D. Dsable overdrive. In O/D, the engine is lugging and more so, the reduced RPMs is not circulating the tranny fluid fast enough to cool the tranny properly.

BTW, the 4R70 is the heavier duty tranny in expeditions.

What I am going by in the previous post staement, when I said the 4.6 has less towing capacity, was the manual for my vehicle. The 5.4 has 8900 with the package and equalizer. The 4.7 was 5000. When towing a 3000# bowrider, it does not matter. When you are towing closer to 4 tons, big difference.

The 5.4 is also a cast iro engine and heads. I was told that 4.6 is an aluminum block and iron heads. The 5.4 is also 3 valve and has a coil for every cylinder. A lot of low end torque for towing. I am towing about 7600 with mine, and no problems related to towing. And we have towed 250 miles, in 95* heat, with the front and rear air conditioning running.
    Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Working...
    X