riser replace?-gctid384982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

riser replace?-gctid384982

i've got a leak. Looks like there is a collar on the output side of the riser to the heat exchanger and it is spitting a good amount of water. Appears to have rusted thru. I've done a lot of searching for this particular style of riser but cannot locate. any help and/or can one just find the collar to replace?

here is the riser - the area in quetion would be on the right of the pic, where that wire is hanging down.

here is the plate

here is the collar (this is actually the 'good one' but better picture opportunity

There are numerous suppliers of exhaust manifolds and risers. You don't say which motor you have, but if you go to Performance Product Technologies website, they'll likely have what you're looking for. They are just one of the many suppliers. Chief has a complete list of suppliers that he has dealt with.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

That appears to be a one piece manifold. If so, you don't actually have a separate riser per se'.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

yeah rick as i was surfing last night that realization came to me. That and i was too drunk to keep looking so i went to bed.

so it appears i will be replacing with a different style? Oh well, most of the hoses are in need as well.

btw they are us marine 454.

Comment

next question.

i was thinking of replacing with stainless rather than cast. pros/cons/worth the $?? with two engines weight would be quite a bit less?

Comment

helloooo anyone there?

Comment

redneck joe wrote:
              helloooo anyone there?
              Yes, we're all here!

I think that you need to post a specific question...... as in which brand manifolds and riser are you considering?
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

redneck joe wrote:
                helloooo anyone there?
                Yes, we're all here!

I think that you need to post a specific question or info...... as in which brand manifolds and risers you are considering.
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

aye there's the rub. I don't know. thats why im asking so i know what to ask the people that will take my money. You go shopping for a truck without knowing what to ask?

if i stay cast what do i need to know about replacing with a different style as i cannot find these one peice. Or if i can, are there disadvantages to either? apparently form the lack on one peice units on the net i would say they suck?

my second question; stainelss better for he money? Is weight a consideration?

Comment

Stainless looks way cool, and yes, you will save considerably on weight. There was a thread a while back about someone who went stainless, but had to make some modications for his particular engine setup. There also may be an issue with expansion rates of the two metals (stainless vs cast on your block. Whatever, if you're thinking stainless, make sure that you've a decent limit on you're Visa. They are expensive, and depending on the condition of the engine that they'er going onto, may not be worth the extra $$$.
                    Bob Hawes.
                    Kelowna, B.C.
                    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
                    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Your lucky the original manifolds lasted this long.

I have a 1988 3450 Avanti 2-454 s. I went with GLM replacement Barr style manifolds with good luck. But not expecting to get 20+ years out of them.I replace riser gaskets yearly
                      {Living our Dream}
                      John & Nancy
                      1988 Bayliner 38
                      175 Hinos 8.5 kw Westerbeke
                      Sandy Point Ferndale Washington

Comment

Joe, you are in fresh water. Your engine has been in salt at some part of its life. It it was all fresh water we wouldn't be having this conversation. Unless it froze and broke.

So unless you like the looks, where you boat cast will last forever. I boat the Great Lakes. Replacing manifolds or risers isn't even discussed unless they freeze and break. Personally I have removed 30 year old manifolds that were as good as new. Some of the antique boats have systems 100 years old and original.

I can't see less weight helping you much.

Were me I would get a good price on cast and save a few bucks.

A suggestion for removal and replacement. Remove a couple of the bolts. Get a bolt longer and cut the head off. Screw them in the holes of the bolts your removed. Now you can slide your manifolds off without dropping them and breaking the spark plugs. Replacement is easy also. Slide on the gasket, the manifold, and bolt. It will be in perfect alignment.

Doug
                        Started boating 1955
                        Number of boats owned 32
                        Bayliners
                        3870 presently owned
                        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I too, like Masterman, have a 1988 Avanti 3450 with twin 454's (US Marine). I have wondered about replacing the manifold/riser combo as well and have not found a suitable replacement. But since my boat has been in fresh water its entire life, the manifolds are not in real bad shape. I have removed them at one time when I needed to remove the heads for a valve job and they seemed fine at that time. I have been watching the thread, however, to see what replacement options I may have when the need arises.

Comment

ChuckDavis wrote:
                            I too, like Masterman, have a 1988 Avanti 3450 with twin 454's (US Marine). I have wondered about replacing the manifold/riser combo as well and have not found a suitable replacement. But since my boat has been in fresh water its entire life, the manifolds are not in real bad shape. I have removed them at one time when I needed to remove the heads for a valve job and they seemed fine at that time. I have been watching the thread, however, to see what replacement options I may have when the need arises.
                            Chuck, why don't you remove one again and take a look. Then you will quit worrying about it.

If yours has never been in salt, no problem.

If it has, 20 years is a long time.
                            Started boating 1955
                            Number of boats owned 32
                            Bayliners
                            3870 presently owned
                            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Doug it has never been in salt; I gave you faulty info.

It only had 150 hours on it when we bought it so my assumption is always ÔÇÿwhat is rottedÔÇÖ rather than ÔÇÿwhat is worn outÔÇÖ. From my vantage point on looking at the leak and blindly feeling the spot it felt like a hole. This weekend I actually got in there and can see that it has been leaking for some time causing rust at the gasket of where the riser part attaches to the collar/nipple that goes to the hose. It felt like a small hole but as I cleared the rust I could see the two parts (and of course the bolts that hold it)

So I will be getting in there and fixing this year; many hoses need replaced as well. Been doing some along the way guess Ill end up doing most. Starter is kinda week too and since its right there

Thanks for all the help; I did learn a bit more about the system (riserfolds? manirisers? ) and I can see on my new project boat the two piece set up. Also since I just ordered a new 14000 btu reverse air unit stainless seems to not be in the future for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X