Parallel Cables for House Batteries-gctid383991

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parallel Cables for House Batteries-gctid383991

Does anyone make cables for pairing batteries in parallel? I'm looking for one cable that would go from one positive terminal on battery 1 to the positive on battery 2 and to the MBSS. I'm taking my time on this and want it to look as neat as possible.

Thanks,

Greg

wefivehodges wrote:
    Does anyone make cables for pairing batteries in parallel? I'm looking for one cable that would go from one positive terminal on battery 1 to the positive on battery 2 and to the MBSS. I'm taking my time on this and want it to look as neat as possible.

Thanks,

Greg
    Nope, you will need separate cables. You can connect them either at the batteries themselves or the MBSS.

Comment

There should be nothing special or out of the ordinary if you are using Marine batteries and Marine style cable ends. You simply make up two short cables.... one red/one black..... and parallel connect them.

Example only... found on the Internet

If your battery uses the old automotive style posts, then you'll need to be creative.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

NAPA sells those exact ones pictured above. They have them in 18", 24" 36" and I believe 48", both red and black.

Comment

I plan and measure for what I need and then go to the local welding supply store.

He makes beautiful cables; softer, more flexible, better quality conductors, very tough jacket meets the standards for engine room temp. And waaaaay cheaper than store-bought pre-made. And exactlybetter quality terminals, properly crimped and exactly the right length.

They generally don't have all-red jacket but they do have red heat shrink for the ends of the positive cables. You can decide for yourself if you need tinned wire or not.

Comment

Welding cable is great for boats because it's got an extremely high strand count. This means flexibility and resistance to vibration damage. The only caveat is they are not tinned ("marine") wire, so in salt water or humid conditions you can get corrosion creep. Use liquid tape to seal the jacket to the connectors and prevent humidity/water from getting in.

Comment

Crimp mildly...... solder.... finish the crimp in a radial fashion..... apply self sealing heavy wall color coded battery cable shrink tubing.

I've not had a failure yet.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Note that ABYC says you should never use solder on a boat.

Comment

No one is suggesting solder ONLY!

Mild crimp..... solder.... finish crimp... seal with the correct self sealing shrink tubing!
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                    Note that ABYC says you should never use solder on a boat.
                    Not exactly. "11.14.5.7: Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit....". You can certainly use solder with other mechanical connections.

Comment

Correct!

In some 40+ years I've not seen one fail nor had one returned!
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Check out Polar Wire. Their 2/0 Arctic UltraFlex Blue cable can be tied in a knot at 30 below. They'll make whatever you want.

http://polarwire.com/
                        100T MMC 2307794

Comment

They recommend against solder because it creates a stress point. It turns part of the wire solid, and where it transitions from solid to flexible it tends to crack with motion/vibration. There is no reason to solder it, and a good reason not to.

Comment

There is an alleged stress point at the crimped fitting, whether soldered or not.

Who is leaving their cables un-secured and able to flop around, anyway?

Argue the point if you want to! In fact, show us some failures in an exact scenario.

My experience tells me that this method works, and IMO this makes for an even better mechanical connection.

Do as you wish..... this is my method!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

op

James

Comment

Working...
                              X