2-Sounders??-gctid383501

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-Sounders??-gctid383501

Well I just finished installing my new Lowrance HDS5 fish finder/sounder and a seperate Hawkeye sounder (strictly depth). I was able to use existing holes from old equipment and the transducers lay about 4ft apart. The reason I did this is because my buddies are constatntly screaming up to the cabin what is the depth when letting down their cannon ball. I won't be able to try it out for a couple of weeks until I get all of my maintenance done.

Question; do you think the trandsucers will interfere with each other? The Lowrance is a large transducer 50/200 and the other is quite small I believe a 50.

My guess is you will definitely have problems. The Hawkeye is most likely 200kHz if it's strictly depth and you said your new unit also runs 200kHz.

You will get interference from another boat if you are close together and on the same frequency. At 4' apart, they are definitely close together. "Close together" is relative depending on depth of water and cone angle of your transducers.

Comment

Assuming your HDS-5 is using it's Lowrance inbuilt Broadband sounder, which is digitally encoded to the individual unit, your HDS display will be fine but your other unit may have problems !

I sometimes experiment with other makes and frequencies alongside my HDS unit, never a problem with the HDS, sometimes with others it's just your luck !

If you want to use two units best to add another Lowrance Broadband sounder unit and network it, and switch between them.

For some uses the Lowrance recommend putting their transducers within 300mm for certain effects, the digital encoding pretty well eliminates same frequency clashes.

Tip on transducers, for best performance and lifespan switch to genuine Airmar units.

All the best Joe

Comment

TrophyTroubles wrote:
        Well I just finished installing my new Lowrance HDS5 fish finder/sounder and a seperate Hawkeye sounder (strictly depth). I was able to use existing holes from old equipment and the transducers lay about 4ft apart. The reason I did this is because my buddies are constatntly screaming up to the cabin what is the depth when letting down their cannon ball. I won't be able to try it out for a couple of weeks until I get all of my maintenance done.

Question; do you think the trandsucers will interfere with each other? The Lowrance is a large transducer 50/200 and the other is quite small I believe a 50.
        Possibly, especially when on the same frequency you will likely see issues.

Instead of the Hawkeye sounder, you could have put a Lowrance LMF-200 gauge in the hole and connected it to the HDS5 via NMEA2000. This would allow you to display depth on a gauge making it appear like a standalone depth finder, but using the HDS's built-in sounder... which is far better than a depth gauge anyway

Comment

I have a Garmin transducer about 3 ft away from my Furuno transducer (1 on each side of the outdrive) and have had no problems.

Comment

use one of the sounders on one frequency and the other on the other frequency and you'll be fine.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys, it gives me some food for thought. The Hawkeye was relatively inexpensive $69 on sale; so if it is not compatible it may be used elsewhere and I'll go with another Lowrance unit. I'll give it try in a week or so and give you an update. If it works it really is worth it to quiet those guys down.

Comment

I have a hd 10 and a hd5 and run them about 1.5 feet apart with no problem at all . i do not pick up and feed back from other boats either. I also have the lowerance side scan and do not have trouble.

Comment

Working...
                X