Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need ignition module help, 1997 volvo penta 7.4gl serial # 4110125640-gctid345243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..... or Photo Eye (optical).

Optical Sensor (below) .................................................. ........................ Rotor and Optical Wheel (below)

OK... maybe cheezy isn't the best choice of words... but how would you describe how Pertronix is adapting the Hall Effect principle and as a retro-fit kit??

(See images below)

This is your complete Pertronix conversion kit... all right there in front of you.

This is all ya get in a conversion kit!

(continued).............
    Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

Sadly, we don't even get away from this when we purchase a complete new Pertronix Ignition Distributor!

Automotive shown.... but the Marine triggering is same.

Orca, if you prefer this version of Hall Effect, and think that this is equal to VR or Optical.... then this is one case where we must simply agree to disagree.

No hard feelings... it's just conversation! Fair nuff?

Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

So let's see - from the above bunch of diagrams - each system has a wheel of some kind, and a pickup/electronics. They are generally the same size (they all fit in a distributor), but photo eye has a bit bigger pickup and electronics package.

And the conclusion is that since Pertronix only provides a wheel and a pickup/electronics in a nice package for a nice price, it is the inferior product. Hmmm...

So an animation of how a VR works proves it is superior?

A picture of a VR distributor proves it is superior?

A picture of a PE distributor proves it is superior?

A picture of a Pertronix hall effect distributor proves it is inferior?

Truly amazing science and test results!! Hope folks can see through this garbage. Do your own research as needed. Just because Bounty said it - doesn't make it so.

Comment

bbruno,

Sorry I don't know if it will fit. I do have a Pertronix module in the shop from an '87 OMC Prestolite distributor. Once I locate it I could take a picture and measurements of it if that would help. I could get the model number as well. Headed to the shop in about an hour. Well, can't find it, but sounds like you got one ordered.

Comment

orca wrote:

And sure, if your distributor is worn out, or of unkown but suspect condition, get a new one.
            Yes, that or have the old one repaired to meet OEM specs!

That is generally one of my suggestions to these guys when doing the conversion kits.

orca wrote:
            ......................... Hope folks can see through this garbage. Do your own research as needed. Just because Bounty said it - doesn't make it so.
            Agreed......, I would encourage anyone to do their own research, and by all means double check what I've had to say here.... don't just take my word on it!

Orca, apparently my comments have somehow stepped on your toes and ruffled your feathers a bit. I am sorry about that, but my thoughts on this remain the same.

If you search Pros/Cons Pertronix vs ????, you won't find much out there because Pertronix owns a large market share on the conversion kits.

Most anyone who is looking for an inexpensive means of converting will choose either the Hot Spark or the Pertronix kits.

They tend to love the inexpensive cost and the ease of installation......., and these do just fine on average.

Again.... let's just simply agree to disagree and leave it at that!

If you like the Pertronix kits, then that's great! I say ... Go For It!

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
            X