Ford 351 Windsor (5.8L) 235 HP camshaft??-gctid345155

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford 351 Windsor (5.8L) 235 HP camshaft??-gctid345155

If anyone has, or knows of a junked 235 HP 351 Windsor marine engine, I'd like to buy the camshaft, condition unimportant. I want to degree the thing to find out once and for all what the stock specifications are.

Robert, you know your stuff on this as well or better than I do.... in that a used camshaft lift dimensions (if flat tappet) may be sacrificed somewhat.

However, I'd suppose that the ramp up and ramp down demensions (I.E., beginning lift, ending lift, lobe separation, and so on, etc.) would at least give you the degree specs.

Just for sh!ts and giggles, I did a quick search.... man..... mostly automotive, and I see zero on the cam profile specs.

Most links lead me to replacement camshafts... not the OEM.

I did find this: OMC's 1993 line included several 5.8-liter outboard engines that differ only in their horsepower rating, which ranges from 235 to 290 horsepower. All other engine specs are identical.

What'cha doing, anyway? Just curious!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The 351w "marine" cam is 280/290 advertized, 204/[email protected], .448/.472 lift.

third reply down (P51 D mustang)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...wFm2pppL4CWRfw

My 28' extended to 35' had 1995 Ford marine 351 HO 285 hp engines, very strong engines.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have a hunch that Robert wants to see the actual crankshaft degrees at which the lift begins and ends, maybe center of peek lift, plus the over-lap in crankshaft degrees.

Here's a video on camshaft phasing, but can also be used to check the actual cam specs.

NOTE: he's using a dial indicator to show us when the cam follower begins to lift and peek.

He is not showing how he achieved TDC for the placement of the degree wheel pointer, so we must assume that he did this prior.

He used either the PPS procedure, or the dial indicator procedure, and split the reading to acheive true TDC.

Just a heads up on that.... and too much coffee!

He is splitting the high center of lobe just as we split the center of piston travel to determine true crankshaft TDC.

He's using .050", but this could be .055" or even .045" to determine true TDC of cam lobe.

When split, the half sum tell us the true tdc angle at the crankshaft.

.050" is pretty much standard when ramping up.

This is more likely what Robert is after.

At one point he backs up when he should not.... not without going foward again to his reading..... but he's on the right track here.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Soooo....anyone willing to give Robert the shaft????

Just could not resist that one oop-

Comment

lolar3288 wrote:
            Soooo....anyone willing to give Robert the shaft????
            Larry, to what degree?
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Keep it clean and to the question!
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                Keep it clean and to the question!
                Yeah, dumnit, NO FUN HERE!!!!!!

Comment

Hi Rick,

Just my curiosity getting the better of me again. Many times the subject of special grind marine cams comes up. I have a hunch that most, if not all are just typical truck or "RV" type grinds, but without specs I can't say. If I find one, and degree it, I'll know and have the information for anyone who's interested. Unless the cam is completely trashed I'm not concerned about wear. These things are pretty tough and all I need is one good intake lobe and one good exhaust lobe.

Larry, you're a sick man.

Comment

RJH wrote:
                    Hi Rick,

1.... Just my curiosity getting the better of me again. Many times the subject of special grind marine cams comes up. I have a hunch that most, if not all are just typical truck or "RV" type grinds, but without specs I can't say. If I find one, and degree it, I'll know and have the information for anyone who's interested. Unless the cam is completely trashed I'm not concerned about wear. These things are pretty tough and all I need is one good intake lobe and one good exhaust lobe.

2.... Larry, you're a sick man.
                    1... I figured as much. Yes, it would be interesting to find out.

My thoughts are, that even if the lobes were worn down, the ramp up/ramp down profile would pretty much remain for your purpose.

IOW, you're after the crankshaft phase degrees, duration and lobe separation... not necessarily lift! Yes/No?

2... Well, I joined Larry in that one, so I guess I'm a bit sick too!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                    X