The head in an Explorer 2270

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The head in an Explorer 2270

New to BOC. I purchased a 1983 Explorer 2270 back in May as a complete redo. I've dropped another AQ 125 and 270 outdrive in it and it runs great. Now I'm working on the cabin. The previous owner had removed all the walls for the head and I'm in the process of rebuilding them. It had a porta potty in it and I'm changing it over to a Vacuflush system. Question I have does anyone have an Explorer with a marine head in it and where is the holding tank. I'm not sure but it seems that the rise the porta potty was on could be a tank but I'm not sure. We plan on not using the aft cabin for anything except storage so I'm thinking of placing the toilet facing foward and placing the vacuum generator and holding tank there and building a cabinet around it. Any thoughts on this.

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with the project. Make sure you take lots of pictures and post them. We love pictures!!
    Joel
    1987 3818 Hino 175
    "Knotty Girl"
    Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Will do. I did figure it out. It was just a rise that was glassed in. I removed it to level out the floor and to mount the toilet in a different place. I am taking pictures and will post some when I get a little further along.

Comment

I have one of these boats, don't see too many anymore. Mine came with a new electric toilet in it that needed a tank and plumbing installed. I used a plastic 13 gallon black water tank under the stbd side V-berth cushion. The toilet draws seawater from a thru hull fitting in this same area thru a hose with a strainer, it goes thru the bulkhead and into the toilet. Then the "blackwater" goes into the tank which has a macerator pump out and another fitting for the vacuum "suck out".

The tank was about $100 and didn't quite clear the bottom of the seat cushion, I had to add a 3/8" strip of wood to the top edge of the structure that supports the cushions and then it fit nicely.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I've attached some photos of what I've done so far. We have decided to use the aft cabin ares for storage so I have mounted the vacuum generator in there and will install a holding tank as well with a pump out. From time to time I will add additional pics as I progress on my project.

Attached files

Comment

Very cool

Under that panel in picture #2 is where my tank and macerator + plumbing is located. The aft storage area in mine is all gutted out and fits 6 crab pots perfectly so I'm not giving up that space!

What are you doing to the engine?

Comment

The engine that was in it was toast and I tried to find someone to rebuild it but to no avail. So I found one on Craigslist with an outdrive in good condition for $750 and I put that in. It's another 125 with a 270 drive. So I have most of the mechanical done and now working on the interior. Then to the hull. I'm re-stripping it with a burgundy vinyl where the black stripe is. If you look close the owner before me put a stainless steel rack up on top of the cabin that will hold several crab pots.

I've also replaced all the vinyl trim around the windows above the helm as well as the panel where the shiftier is and the one on the port side as well. Also the two panels on either side on the outside of the Alaska bulk head.

Where you have your tank and such the is where i was going to put mine and the vacuum generator but I wanted a a bigger holding tank. Thinking a 20 gallon.

But for now I'm putting the project on hold until we get back. We're heading to our place in Mexico for 6 weeks then to Palm Springs and up to San Francisco and on home. We are RVer's as well.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, great pictures.
                Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I know it's been awhile, but here are some pictures of the completed rebuild.

Comment

And more pics

Attached files

Comment

Great work!!

Have you had her out yet? No mechanical issues?
                      Joel
                      1987 3818 Hino 175
                      "Knotty Girl"
                      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Put in the water back in June and went to Quartermaster Harbor. Ran pretty well but had it proped wrong. A fe!low BOC member was kind enough to give me another prop and the next time we took her out she ran much better. In August we went to Ilwaco for a week of fishing and crabbing. While there I discovered an oil leak I believe is coming from the front cam shaft seal and I think a leak in the raw water side of the freshwater cooling. Haven't dealt with either yet. Its on the trailer in the drive and will work on it this spring when it warms up a bit.

Comment

That is fine work I am impressed.
                          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Very good work, I like the thought given to the head. It gives me an idea what to do with my 2650 Explorer. The aft bedroom is a full width that might give me room to install a holding tank and still let it be used for guest. I also like the drawer under the stove, too late for me, I already cut out the opening, but my wife really likes that.
                            2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
                            previous boats,
                            Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
                            Great loop completed 2006
                            10 year live aboard
                            retired to land 2015
                            rmitch

Comment

Great work, I'm envious! Mine is working great, but it's ugly!

Comment

Working...
                              X