earmuff procedure...no flow-gctid382367

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

earmuff procedure...no flow-gctid382367

When running the engine out of the water with earmuffs and a garden hose should I NOT see water flowing thru the system when the engine is NOT running?

Will I only see water flowing through when the impeller is turning? Please advise.

I think the impeller has to be turning in order for water to exit the outdrive...

Comment

Silver Fox wrote:
      When running the engine out of the water with earmuffs and a garden hose should I NOT see water flowing thru the system when the engine is NOT running?

Will I only see water flowing through when the impeller is turning? Please advise.
      That is correct!

The water pressure should not be making it's way past the impeller/pump.

The "muffs" are designed to release excessive pressure/flow.

If the engine has not been fired for a while, remove the pump cover, and examine the impeller.

If good, and/or if replacing it, perhaps apply some glycerin to it.

Also, if you have not replaced the water neck fitting and special beaded gasket, you'd best do so.

Be sure to plug the water drain hole in the forward portion of the lower unit "bullet" area.
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
        Be sure to plug the water drain hole in the forward portion of the lower unit "bullet" area.
        Rick... you got a picture of this?

Curious...

Comment

Water neck fitting.

Lower unit water drain port will be in this area on all of these AQ series lower units. It's nothing more than an open port.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/685881=27693-Water drain port lower unit.jpg[/img]
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

i dont have a pic but its just a hole on the bottom of the outdrive towards the front. you really cant miss it its about the size of a dime. funny thing is i always forget plugging it when running on the muffs. a few seconds go by and im like damn, why is there no water coming out of my exhaust...lol

Comment

Thanks guys... just learned something new today! :beer-

Comment

+1!

Comment

Agreed, if you didn't plug the somewhat hidden drain hole, that's likely the reason water wasn't circulating yet. Also, if the block was completely drained etc..., it will also take a little bit of time for it to fill up (and it has to fill up before it can drain). I like to pre-fill before starting on muffs.

Find your nearest OEM Volvo Penta bush/shrub/tree, break off a tree branch, widdle/taper to size, and plug the hole. I find this works fantastic and I don't have to worry if I lose it later on. I usually break the stick long enough so that the other end can rest on the ground (thereby being less likely for it to fall out while the engine is running). If you can't find an OEM Volvo Penta branch, just use whatever branch you can find--"aftermarket" will do fine. I suppose you could use a cork or something, but I'd be a little more concerned about it falling out if there's nothing helping to hold it in place. Either that, or just drop the leg into a kiddie pool (remove kids first).

When all is said and done, you should see water drippling out of the exhaust port above the prop, and you should see water coming out the relief ports on the transom (the small L-shaped rubber thingies). If you are just running at idle speed, most of the water will likely be coming out the relief ports. If the boat is slanted port/starboard, water can have a tendency to "favor" one port vs. the other (e.g. the one that is downhill).

Comment

Another option to block that vent hole is good old duct tape, I also tape the muffs on securely when running on the muffs.

Comment

Working...
                    X