Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help wiring in new charger-gctid382138

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    help wiring in new charger-gctid382138

    ive cut the plug on the new charger and am attempting to wire this in . My old charger has a romex style 3 wire going to it for power from the main panel on boat ,. the wires are tagged pos. neg. and ground. the3 wires that i have for the new charger as i have cut off the plug are brown, blue and green/yellow. what goes to what? also on the bat. connections my old charger had 3 terminals bat.1 , bat 2 which run to the mbss and a common neg. which seams to run somewhere towards the motor or batteries. now the new charger has 2 insulated cords for battery hook up each has a pos. and a neg.lead. with loop connectors and an inline fuse on each of the leads (pos $ neg.) 4 total. Now im assuming i can use the pos. leads to go to each of the connections at the switch but what do i do with the 2 negs.? do i combine them and connect them into the single neg. i have going to the original charger from the motor area?im so flippin confused !

    #2
    correction the new charger has only 3 fuses not 4, the lead marked starting bat. only has a fuse on the pos. lead and not the neg. the other line has a fuse on bothe the neg. and pos.

    Comment


      #3
      correction #2 the romex type wire coming from the boats main panel has 3 wires marked pos. NEUTRAL , and ground.

      Comment


        #4
        Scraping B wrote:
        ive cut the plug on the new charger and am attempting to wire this in . My old charger has a romex style 3 wire going to it for power from the main panel on boat ,. the wires are tagged pos. neg. and ground. the3 wires that i have for the new charger as i have cut off the plug are brown, blue and green/yellow. what goes to what? also on the bat. connections my old charger had 3 terminals bat.1 , bat 2 which run to the mbss and a common neg. which seams to run somewhere towards the motor or batteries. now the new charger has 2 insulated cords for battery hook up each has a pos. and a neg.lead. with loop connectors and an inline fuse on each of the leads (pos $ neg.) 4 total. Now im assuming i can use the pos. leads to go to each of the connections at the switch but what do i do with the 2 negs.? do i combine them and connect them into the single neg. i have going to the original charger from the motor area?im so flippin confused !
        They used European color coding... the ground is the green/yellow, the brown is the hot (US black, what you call "positive"), and the blue is the neutral (US white, what you call "negative"). That is not the correct nomenclature on the boat, but it'll work.

        One positive will run to each of the same places that the "bat1" and "bat2" connections ran to on the former charger, the other two can be connected to the existing "common neg" if it is sized sufficiently for the new charger, otherwise you will have to ground them yourself.

        Comment


          #5
          Scraping B wrote:
          correction #2 the romex type wire coming from the boats main panel has 3 wires marked pos. NEUTRAL , and ground.
          Better... it should have been marked hot neutral and ground though

          Comment


            #6
            thank you dearly for the quick reply , thank you.

            Comment


              #7
              here is another curve ball , inside the mbss, the orig. charger bat. 1 was connected to the bat. 1 position on the switch, howeveer the 2nd line from the charger was connected to the BOTH position. should i follow suit or should i correct this and wire it to the pos 2 on the switch?

              Comment


                #8
                ishiboo wrote:


                One positive will run to each of the same places that the "bat1" and "bat2" connections ran to on the former charger, the other two can be connected to the existing "common neg" if it is sized sufficiently for the new charger, otherwise you will have to ground them yourself.
                Correct!

                Take the charger Negatives to your System Negative Common..... which will be your engine Negative connection. Let the Battery Negs complete this for you.

                Or, to a remote system negative terminal block.

                As said, your wiring for the charger AC power will be; Hot, Neutral and Ground.

                Scraping B wrote:
                here is another curve ball , inside the mbss, the orig. charger bat. 1 was connected to the bat. 1 position on the switch, howeveer the 2nd line from the charger was connected to the BOTH position. should i follow suit or should i correct this and wire it to the pos 2 on the switch?
                FYI, there is no "Both" terminal, nor is there a terminal for "position #2" on your MBSS. Only #1, #2 and "Common" terminals.

                BATT #1, BATT #2, and/or ALL/BOTH are all results of the battery selection when realized at the "Common" terminal at the rear of the switch.

                ALL/BOTH selection simply combines #1 and #2.

                Think of your MBSS as a kitchen faucet.

                Hot = battery bank #1 (or #2... doesn't matter)

                Cold = battery bank #2 (or #1... doesn't matter)

                The spicket = Common

                You select Hot.... you get #1 bank out the spicket

                You select cold.... you get Bank #2 bank out the spicket

                You select both.... you get warm.... or ALL/BOTH out the spicket

                No matter which has been selected, the spicket connects to your engine's starter motor solenoid terminal.

                You can laugh at my analogy.... it won't hurt my feelings!

                Charge leads to #1 and #2, Negatives connected correctly, and you'll be all set to go!

                .
                Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                Comment


                  #9
                  Rick, that analogy is no joke! it totally helps me understand! im almost finished . I connected everything but the negs and i am excited! ill be back!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ooops, I was doing an edit while you posted. I changed the verbiage a bit.

                    So the silly analogy was OK, eh?

                    .

                    Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/685704=27682-MBSS showing terminals 2.jpg[/img]
                    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                    Comment


                      #11
                      my bad again, i think i am confusing an mbss with a selector switch! My switch has a n off at the bottom a 1 position to the left a 2 position to the right and a both position at the top . My og charger was wired to the #1 position and the both position . how should i wire the new one? i have completed the wiring to the #1 and to the #2 positions and all seems well. should i change the 2nd lead from the charger back to the both position on the switch ??

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Scraping B wrote:
                        my bad again, i think i am confusing an mbss with a selector switch! My switch has a n off at the bottom a 1 position to the left a 2 position to the right and a both position at the top . My og charger was wired to the #1 position and the both position . how should i wire the new one? i have completed the wiring to the #1 and to the #2 positions and all seems well. should i change the 2nd lead from the charger back to the both position on the switch ??
                        Nope. You should wire the chargers #1 output to the battery you typically use for starting (it will make it the priority on smarter chargers) and the second to the second battery. This is done at the #1 and #2 terminals on the MBSS - the hot and cold in Rick's faucet analogy. There is no "both" terminal - there is the "output" which is where the water comes out - hot, cold, or both depending on how the switch is set

                        Comment


                          #13
                          That is so funny to read my analogy when someone else uses it and posts it. I had to read it twice!

                          Scraping B, MBSS = Main Battery Selector Switch. The same switch that selects #1..... ALL/BOTH...... #2.... and OFF, like what you have.

                          You're just not familiar with calling it an MBSS.

                          Good back to post # 10 and look at the rear of an MBSS.
                          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am going through the same process. On the MBSS would it make sense to have the following connected to the MBSS:

                            Position 1:

                            Cranking Battery Positive

                            Charger 1

                            Bilge Pump 1

                            Combiner Lead 1

                            Position 2:

                            House Battery Positive

                            Charger 2

                            Backup Bilge Pump

                            Combiner Lead 2

                            Connection to help fuse panel

                            It seems like a lot of connections at the MBSS. From the other posts you've written on the subject this is what I have gathered.

                            Greg

                            Comment


                              #15
                              wefivehodges wrote:
                              I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am going through the same process. On the MBSS would it make sense to have the following connected to the MBSS:

                              A.... Position 1: Cranking Battery Positive

                              Charger 1

                              Bilge Pump 1

                              Combiner Lead 1

                              B.... Position 2:

                              House Battery Positive

                              Charger 2

                              Backup Bilge Pump

                              Combiner Lead 2

                              Connection to help fuse panel

                              C..... It seems like a lot of connections at the MBSS. From the other posts you've written on the subject this is what I have gathered.

                              Greg
                              A.... For your smaller bilge pump, you'd be safe using the hull's harness. Your call on that.

                              B.... If your "back up" pump is your largest "save-my-boat-from-sinking" pump, then yes...... ya got it right!

                              Not following the "Connection to help fuse panel" part! ????

                              C.... "It seems like a lot of connections at the MBSS" .... if you end up with more connections than you are comfortable with, you can take a heavy lead to a Fuse Block. Then power your items from there.

                              I suppose that if we're not careful, the ole Rat's Nest can occur at the MBSS as well. rod

                              .
                              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X