trophy 2052 Trolling a little squirrelly-gctid382129

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trophy 2052 Trolling a little squirrelly-gctid382129

Hey guys and gals. I just purchased a (new to me ) 2004 trophy wacc with a 4.3 mercruiser. It tends to move left and right easily during trolling speed but does fine when I give it a little throttle to about 10+ knots. So my question, is it normal or is it just me? Is there a way to help the situation short of putting in a duo prop outdrive? Any input would be greatly appriciated. Thanks for reading.

I have the same boat and motor. I troll much slower than the 4.3 will allow me to, and have always have had a kicker behind me. For some reason, the boat reacts faster to the 8 hp kicker than the 4.3. This is probably because the boat rides a bit higher in the water when the kicker is being used. You'll also find that when you're trolling, you don't expect instantaneous reation to your wheel movement, as your direction is usually not as critical. Almost all deep V's react slowly to wheel movement at slow speeds, there's just too much hull in the water to overcome with relatively low thrust. Once you're used to it, you'll take any slow reaction time into consideration when you're at the helm. If you do a lot of trolling, the addition of a kicker will pay for itself in a few seasons. They are quite, burn little fuel, and will save the main engine from the bulk of time that you spend fishing. I'd questimate that my kickers have had 3 -4 times the hours on them that my mains had.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

I troll all the time, 1988 2160 I/O.

Small trolling bags off each side, amidships, will reduce the wander and roll and give you greater speed control. I use bigger bags to really knock down the speed for walleyes.

A small great lakes company called Amish Outfitters makes quality trolling bags.

Comment

Working...
      X