Run blower when running the generator?-gctid381948

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run blower when running the generator?-gctid381948

I think I've seen this discussed before, but searching wasn't very useful. Do you or not, and why?

I don't. And my reason is, that motor is already moving a lot more air than the blower would.

When my generator is operating, so is it's dedicated blower motor.

Any generator will emit heat, and more heat than it's intake can remove, IMO.

Now when I run my Honda EU, or my Chain Saw, in the engine bay, NO...... I do not run the blower motor! ops
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
      I think I've seen this discussed before, but searching wasn't very useful. Do you or not, and why?

I don't. And my reason is, that motor is already moving a lot more air than the blower would.
      Great question that I've always wondered about, which is of course no help. I also want to state that I hate my blower because it's so loud and annoying.

Comment

Rick, you added an additional blower? Or your boat came with one? Do you have one that's not loud and annoying?

Comment

If you have the Turbo or Inline blower motor, it's no wonder you think that it's loud!

Try a continuous duty squirrel cage blower motor. Nice and quiet, and will outlast the other style by oodles!
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Now when I run my Honda EU, or my Chain Saw, in the engine bay, NO...... I do not run the blower motor
            I hooked up a chain saw to a generator, installed it in my engine bay, (with the necessary gas oil mixture in a plastic jug), and I can make plenty of power anytime. Sure its a little loud, but works well!

Comment

The general rule for a engine bay blower is.....5 minutes before start up or when going under 5mph( i think thats the speed). Or when idling.

last I checked a generator is a engine. Sooooo

Having said that if your boat is not moving as to move air through the engine compartment you would need to run the blower. Now if the blower is too loud then get the squirl cage type as Rick suggested you can hardly hear them they are 100% duty cycle. They may cost more but then you wont be replacing it every other year either
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

What's a good (in terms of price & performance) squirrel cage to buy? I have the inline and it's about 15 times louder than the engines themselves. I have two replacements, I was going to install twin blowers, but I'd rather go with something much quieter and the stupid one I have won't die.

Comment

Yes, I will go this route as well. Someone tell us what to do ! Dah !

Comment

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/MA...nge+Mount.html

Here is a link to one $70 there are various types of mountings and air moving capacities though
                    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-3-Inch-...0&sr=1-1-spell

Comment

Yes,there should be a forced air movement for an installed genny.

The Genny engine is water cooled. However, the generator itself, is completely electrical and has no water cooling. Sure, there is SOME air movement due to the rotor moving, but it get hot. A forced air movement will extend the bearing life of the unit.

Running your Honda with you standing on deck with an electric chain saw plugged in does away with noise complaints, eh?
                        Captharv 2001 2452
                        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

On my 3888 (petrol) I ran the blowers before starting the genny, but then shut down the blowers. I know this is not what you read on the massive yellow warning stickers adorning your boat. 38xx's have 3 blowers, all switched in parallel, so together they *might* move more air than the genny. The genny is liquid cooled and in a very large engine space so i didnt find heat to be an issue.

On my present boat (diesel) I only run blowers after I shut down main engines to help reduce the hot soak. Never for the enclosed genny. Tiara thoughtfully installed 6 hi volume squirrel cage blowers, all very quiet. There's 1 for exhaust out each head, 3 for the engine room(2 high, 1 low), and 1 for the galley.

Comment

Someone pointed out a detail about running the blowers. If your air intake for the bilge is close to the generator exhaust, you may be sucking CO into the bilge.

Seems like an engine room temp monitor could be a useful device to have.

Comment

Swampnut, that is the problem I noticed with my boat from the factory that never made sense to me! The air intake is on the starboard side while all of the fan exhaust (2 units) exits out the port side of the boat. Problem is the genset exhaust is on the starbord side almost directly below the engine room fresh air intake! Who designed this? On my project list is swapping this design and upgrading to squirel cage blowers.

Comment

Working...
                              X