Engine Alignment-gctid345004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Alignment-gctid345004

I have read on another forum that engine alignments are an annual service when you pull the drive off to inspect outdrive, & u-joints. Is this necessary as a regular service item for a PDS bearing system or is it for gimbal bearing systems only or....? I dont get any vibrations on the motor or drive and would like to know a lil more about this as this is my first bigg-er boat and would like to do as much preventative maintenance as possible. Just a newb lookin to learn what the big boys already know.

k-townguy wrote:
    I have read on another forum that engine alignments are an annual service when you pull the drive off to inspect outdrive, & u-joints. Is this necessary as a regular service item for a PDS bearing system or is it for gimbal bearing systems only or....? I dont get any vibrations on the motor or drive and would like to know a lil more about this as this is my first bigg-er boat and would like to do as much preventative maintenance as possible. Just a newb lookin to learn what the big boys already know.
    If you are asking regarding you 1985 VP AQ125A/270, there is no Gimbal anything with the AQ series Volvo Penta drive system.

You should not have to worry, ** unless the engine w/ the F/C has been removed.

Nut shelling this:

The engine, drive coupler, flywheel cover and PDS are all married to one another, and could be considered "fixed geometry".

See image below. (old 250 drive, but the principle is unchanged for the later AQ series)

It will show the engine, flywheel cover, B/W drive coupler and the PDS in a fixed position with the transom shield.

A Gimbal system drive will be "hinged" at the rear engine mounts as to allow the front of the engine to be adjusted up/down.

With your Volvo Penta, the only point of center-of-drive-shaft articulation is at the universal joint.

Once bolted together.... No adjustment for alignment is even possible.... so you are done for the life of these components.

** However, there is an initial engine alignment, but this has more to do with the F/C and Transom Shield where the rubber cushions are squeezed.

This would be if an engine and flywheel cover had been removed and were to be re-installed.

But again, once done we generally don't have to re-visit this.

Annual engine drive coupler alignment pertains to the Gimbal system drives only.

BTW, if you have not replaced your PDS bearing, and if no history that it has been....... you'd best put this on your list!

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Hey Rick, I had planned on replacing the pds bearing this spring as i have to replace the u joint bellows as it has split during my winterizing. Anywho, i read your write-up about the how to on this, and you show the SKF bearing and seal. Are those numbers the ones i would need to do mine (AQ125A) i can get SKF products from my napa dealer. Bearing is 6206 and the seal you show is 692427. Anything you can recommend to a first timer does this. I am fairly competent mechanically as i am a licensed tech, tools are also not an issue as i will take the boat to the shop and do this there. Any further advise on top of your how to for a first timer is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
      X