Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water entering between flyweel and cover-gctid381359

Hello all....

as I was testing all the hard work that was done during the winter I find water is entering inside the engine compartment from between the flyweel and the cover (see pic) as I was about to launch I check engine compartment and saw water then my bulge pump came on.....

anyone have any ideas....? I check the bellows and they don't look bad, or crack, but that does not mean water could not be leaking from them is it...? don't know how old they are...? also could it be from the top or bottom bellow...?

all ideas welcome......

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684860=27639-IMG_2571.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684860=27637-IMG_2636.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/684860=27638-IMG_2641.jpg[/img]

To my knowledge, the only way water could enter the bell housing (flywheel cover) is through a leaky bellow. This is not good news for the Volvo Penta AQ series drives -- as water entering through the bellows is likely to have made contact with and potentially damaged the PDS (Primary Drive Shaft) bearing. In order to change this bearing, the engine needs to be removed.

I'm sure others will chime in...

Comment

There is a casting plug in the rear of the block, could look like water coming in from the outside but actually seeping past the plug.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Hectors_blackpearl wrote:
        Hello all....

as I was testing all the hard work that was done during the winter I find water is entering inside the engine compartment from between the flyweel and the cover (see pic) as I was about to launch I check engine compartment and saw water then my bulge pump came on.....

anyone have any ideas....? I check the bellows and they don't look bad, or crack, but that does not mean water could not be leaking from them is it...? don't know how old they are...? also could it be from the top or bottom bellow...?

all ideas welcome......
        If water is entering the interior of the flywheel cover, it must be coming in from the universal drive shaft area.... I.E., bellows area.

Possible sources:
        • Bad and leaking bellows.
        • Leaking seal between bellows "sealing bead" and F/C bellows snout, or transmission bellows snout.
        • Wrong band clamps pulling on material/bunching it up. (need to be the Euro Style band clamps)
        • Breached threaded hole for helmet pin. (two bolt style.... bolts too long/broke aluminum housing out)
        • Seal between transmission clamping collar and main gear case. (pre-A style transmission)
        • Seal at any of the four clamping collar bolts above. (pre-A transmissions are wet area bolts)

MarinePartsEurope.com does not list an AQ225A, http://"http://www.marinepartseurope... to the AQ260.

NOTE: All of these schematics show the AQ200B and AQ225B Y-pipe, of which is the wrong Y-pipe for all others (I don't know why this hasn't been corrected over the years).

Your drive shaft bellows is OEM p/n 875826 replaced by p/n 876294.

The OEM is a better quality Bellows, and you'll get the Euro style band clamps with them.

The Sierra is Part # 18-2744, but you'll get the fully cut worm screw slot style band clamps. Re-use the OEM if they are good.

NOTE: with water being where it was, you'd best fire the engine up on the garden hose, and pump some grease into the PDS bearings while it is running at idle. If you are pulling the transmission, do this while the trans is off. This way you can view the grease as it exits the rear PDS bearing.

Look at the color of the first grease that comes out of the bearing ball cage.

If this is rusty looking, you likely have bearing damage, and need to replace them.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
          There is a casting plug in the rear of the block, could look like water coming in from the outside but actually seeping past the plug.
          Yes, certainly worth considering if the leak shows up while the sea water pump is working. But this would show up around the forward area of the flywheel..... possibly runing down the flywheel.

If this leaks from within the flywheel cover area, and while the engine is NOT running, then I'd go back to the bellows area again.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
            To my knowledge, the only way water could enter the bell housing (flywheel cover) is through a leaky bellow. This is not good news for the Volvo Penta AQ series drives -- as water entering through the bellows is likely to have made contact with and potentially damaged the PDS (Primary Drive Shaft) bearing. In order to change this bearing, the engine needs to be removed.
            Yep! Two bearing PDS is actually a better PDS scenario because we can lube them...... but that dang engine removal for replacement is a bugger.

I just pulled a later model DP-C1 PDS last evening. These are a single bearing w/ a pilot nose at the forward section. It was a bit stubborn, but it did come out AFT without doing anything to the engine.

This was a new engine/drive installation in 2005, performed by one of Portland's more reputable Marine Engine companies (who shall remain nameless). They had installed an open bearing on the PDS. :thumb Actually, it was a 6206 sealed bearing, but they had picked the seals from it and apparently packed it with more grease!

Always, always, always question your mechanic's and shop's credentials and qualifications! Ask questions!

Had the correct sealed bearing been installed, this man may not have needed my services.
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I'd also consider replacing the duct tape on the exhaust! Maybe it's leaking there too!

Comment

kellynm wrote:
                I'd also consider replacing the duct tape on the exhaust! Maybe it's leaking there too!
                I saw that, but figured that he may have wrapped the worm screw or band to keep from cutting himself on it.

Hector..... you could at least use that pretty blue duct tape!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Well, it looks like the work will continue for this season I just hope and will do all possible NOT to remove the engine. I think I will try the bellows first. Thank you all for your good advice, and I am going to start looking into buying the supply as Rick has adviced me. and about that duct tape .....yes it is in place so I won't get cut.....I'll buy blue next time Rick... LOL

Comment

Working...
                  X