gas in my bilge-gctid381299

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas in my bilge-gctid381299

Took the admiral for a overnight trip. First time filling the tank to the top. Fuel came out the breather vent. Got to our overnight anchoring spot and could smell gas..... had gas in the bilge (1/2 litre). Checked hoses and clamps, carb fittings, all looked good. Couldn't find the source. I got the gas out of the bilge and had to fuel up to get home, There was no more gas in the bilge when we got back to the marina.

Any thoughts or ideas what to look for ?
    1992 4588
    Sea Nile

Seadoo Wake 170

What about the seal from your tank sending unit? I had to reseal mine. Unless I filled the tank up to the top it was not a problem, but if I filled it full fuel would leak out.

Comment

2859er wrote:
      What about the seal from your tank sending unit? I had to reseal mine. Unless I filled the tank up to the top it was not a problem, but if I filled it full fuel would leak out.
      I will reseal that just to make sure, everything looked dry at the time.

Thanks for the reply
      1992 4588
      Sea Nile

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

I had a strange gas leak on our 2859 that had me scratching my head that might relate to what you're seeing. I had fuel in the bilge after topping off the tank, but only in the water. This happened twice and I couldn't locate it the first time, but the second time around, it turned out to be a cut on the lower side of the tank vent line. It would only be exposed to fuel when topped off and then on when the boat was stern low in the water.

Definitely had me wondering if my tank had a crack, but it may be something less than obvious on yours as well. Top it off and check everywhere for wet lines.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
          I had a strange gas leak on our 2859 that had me scratching my head that might relate to what you're seeing. I had fuel in the bilge after topping off the tank, but only in the water. This happened twice and I couldn't locate it the first time, but the second time around, it turned out to be a cut on the lower side of the tank vent line. It would only be exposed to fuel when topped off and then on when the boat was stern low in the water.

Definitely had me wondering if my tank had a crack, but it may be something less than obvious on yours as well. Top it off and check everywhere for wet lines.
          I'll check out the vent hose carefully.

Thanks
          1992 4588
          Sea Nile

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

Check the hose clamps for the vent hose. They should be double clamped. Since marine fuel docks generally do not have the overfill shut off systems automotive gas stations are equipped with, overfilling will commonly leave residual fuel in the vent line. If the clamps are not tight, fuel can end up in the bilge.

Comment

As TimeOut stated, it is very likely the sending unit leaking. I had an issue with that as well. Same thing with the water tank. Once I secured it properly no more fuel or water in the bilge after each fill up...

Unless the hose is really old, be hard to say its the vent hose... But ya never know...
              Doug ;}
              MMSI: 338068776
              "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

2859er wrote:
                The sending unit was damp with gas around it........ just like you said.... not a problem unless filled to the top. All good now Double clamped the vent and fuel hoses
                1992 4588
                Sea Nile

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

Working...
                X