AUX IN not working on Jensen Marine Stereo-gctid380881

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AUX IN not working on Jensen Marine Stereo-gctid380881

I usually play my iPod through the AUX IN plug on my Jensen MSR4050G stereo on my 285. I decided to run the audio from the DVD player through the 4050 rather than through the anemic speakers on the 15" TV. I ran the audio wires, plugged into the AUX IN and it worked great for about 2 minutes. Then it stopped. Now nothing works through the AUX IN. Did I break it, is it fixable, and did I do something wrong?

Paul
    2008 Rinker 330 EC
    Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
    2007 285 (sold)
    350 Horizon Bravo 3

Spyderweb2 wrote:
    I usually play my iPod through the AUX IN plug on my Jensen MSR4050G stereo on my 285. I decided to run the audio from the DVD player through the 4050 rather than through the anemic speakers on the 15" TV. I ran the audio wires, plugged into the AUX IN and it worked great for about 2 minutes. Then it stopped. Now nothing works through the AUX IN. Did I break it, is it fixable, and did I do something wrong?

Paul
    Only thing I can think of is a poor connection. Try cleaning/giggling the phono plug. If that fails probably better off just getting a new unit considering what it cost to repair something today. Nothing you did would have caused this to fail IMHO.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I agree with Hans. Nothing you did could have caused the input to break. The DVD player outputs the same line voltage as your iPod...or any other device with line outs as well. Sounds like you have already checked to see if it was the radio by plugging the iPod back in and not getting an output. Does the radio still output sound from another source such as the FM or cd if it has one? If it still outputs sound and no more signals through the Aux input then something simply quit in the input signal path. Nothing you can do to fix it that would be worth the money. Sorry about your luck is about all I can say. Sometimes things just break.

FYI, my Bayliner came factory wired the way you were trying...with the dvd player already wired into the aux in of the radio. It's not surround sound, but certainly a lot better sounding than the tv speakers!

Comment

As a long shot, try replacing the 3.5mm cord. It may have failed.
        2007 Discovery 246
        300mpi BIII
        Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Dave,

Yes, the unit still produces sound from the AM/FM radio (and likely the cd too, but I didn't try it). The system is designed to override any mode it's in (AM/FM/CD) when the AUX IN is plugged in. But now, plugging in doesn't do anything, it stays in FM mode etc.

Jim,

I tried 2 different cords and neither worked, so I suspect it's in the unit.

My thought now is to replace it with the identical unit. I don't want to get into installing a different bracket (tight working conditions), or cutting a bigger opening, don't know if the plugs are universal or not, and I don't want to reinstall a remote that's mounted on the helm. My only concern is removing this unit. I have the special tool to remove the chassis from the bracket, but I've never tried it. Has anyone had experience with this? Is it as easy as the directions indicates? (Insert tool on either side until it clicks, then remove unit)

The other problem is (of course) they don't make this model anymore, although I did find a few on the internet. I'll try and remove unit next time I'm at the boat, and if successful, I'll probably order a new one.

Paul
          2008 Rinker 330 EC
          Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
          2007 285 (sold)
          350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

Yes the keys let the head unit slide out of your support bracket. Just about all head units that are the same in size are all the same size. Just get you a new head unit.

Comment

I looked at the manual for your unit. Before changing out, try pluggin into the Aux input on the back of the unit. More than likely this still works though you will need a short conversion cable from Walmart or Radio Shack to go from your 3.5mm jack to the RCA style, cheap. You'll have to select that input by pushing the mode button. If that input still works (probable) and reaching that cable works out with your set up then you don't need to buy a new radio. You could still easily use your iPod or dvd player or what have you.

Just an idea to help save you money.

Comment

Nauti Knotts wrote:
                I looked at the manual for your unit. Before changing out, try pluggin into the Aux input on the back of the unit. More than likely this still works though you will need a short conversion cable from Walmart or Radio Shack to go from your 3.5mm jack to the RCA style, cheap. You'll have to select that input by pushing the mode button. If that input still works (probable) and reaching that cable works out with your set up then you don't need to buy a new radio. You could still easily use your iPod or dvd player or what have you.

Just an idea to help save you money.
                Wow, Dave, that would be great. But I look at the manual (page 5 schematic) and I don't see that there is any AUX IN at the rear of the unit. I hope I'm wrong. Am I missing something? Or would I use the "CD Changer Connector", or "Sirius Connector"?

Paul
                2008 Rinker 330 EC
                Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                2007 285 (sold)
                350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

I'll admit the manual for your unit is not written the best but it does appear on that diagram (page 5) the "Rear RCA" grey cable (near top right) is what they are reffering to as the rear Aux input on page 8

10. Auxiliary Input
                  The AUX IN jack (10) on the face of the unit provides a highly accessable 3.5 mm connection.When a device is connected to this AUX IN jack, it will override any devices connected to the
                  rear auxiliary input cable.

The only other option for this cable (though refferenced no where) would be a line out for external amplification. Since this is mentioned no where in the manual, I have to assume that it is the rear Aux in that is refferenced in point 10 above.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Comment

I think you nailed it Dave. I see what you mean. Hopefully I'll be up to the boat in the next week (it's 100 miles away) and give this a try. I guess my biggest concern now is being able to pull the unit out with the supplied tool.

Paul
                    2008 Rinker 330 EC
                    Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                    2007 285 (sold)
                    350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

Got to boat Friday night and prepared to pull the stereo unit. Right away I notice there is a face plate on it, preventing the insertion of removal tools. Hadn't considered that. I pried at the plate with various pointy tools, hoping not to break the thin plastic, and if finally popped off with the help of a cork screw. Next I inserted the removal tools, and after trying a couple of different directions, heard the click, and began pulling the unit out. Got it out about an inch and a half, and it would come no further. After unsuccessfully trying different things, my best guess is that one of the plug ends coming out of the back of the unit are getting hung up on the back of the mounting bracket, preventing me from pulling it out. The only thing I had thin enough to stick in and try and free it up was a table knife, but it wasn't long enough.

So now I'll wait till next trip when I'll have some other thin flat tool to insert and free it up.
                      2008 Rinker 330 EC
                      Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                      2007 285 (sold)
                      350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

Sorry to hear you were unsucessful at getting your headunit out. Sometimes they can be tricky but most times after using the release tool they pretty much slide out. Good luck with your next attempt!

Comment

Spyderweb2 wrote:
                          Got to boat Friday night and prepared to pull the stereo unit. Right away I notice there is a face plate on it, preventing the insertion of removal tools. Hadn't considered that. I pried at the plate with various pointy tools, hoping not to break the thin plastic, and if finally popped off with the help of a cork screw. Next I inserted the removal tools, and after trying a couple of different directions, heard the click, and began pulling the unit out. Got it out about an inch and a half, and it would come no further. After unsuccessfully trying different things, my best guess is that one of the plug ends coming out of the back of the unit are getting hung up on the back of the mounting bracket, preventing me from pulling it out. The only thing I had thin enough to stick in and try and free it up was a table knife, but it wasn't long enough.

So now I'll wait till next trip when I'll have some other thin flat tool to insert and free it up.
                          If your stereo mounting braket is anything like mine was, you may be able to pull everything out.

The metal cage has tabs that are bent down behind the wood panel - that's what keeps the cage in place. I just recently put a 3.5mm/RCA plug on the back of my unit. I had to remove the cage so that I could reach in the back of the opening.

If you are unable to get the radio to come free of the cage (it's got to be a tangled cable, and not too short of a cable) then try to either use a good pair of needle nose pliers to get a solid grip on the cage and pull (the hope here is the tabs will band back up). If this doesn't work, then try to get a flat tool to insert between the wood panel and the cage, "find" the tabs, and push them flat from the outside.

If you can do that, then you may be able to slide everything forward.

Comment

Update on stereo project.

Got to the boat today. Before tearing things apart, I check the external AUX IN plug and determine it still doesn't work. So, had long piece of thin lexan that I slid in under the stereo unit to free up the stuck plug so I could pull the whole unit out. Didn't work. It is still stuck. Then decided to try and take the DVD player out instead which sits just above it. Got the trim piece off (with some difficulty) and find there is no slot on side of unit to accept my special stereo removal tools, its basically flush with the sides of the cabinet. So I take my piece of lexan and cut it in 2 lengthwise so I can slide a length between the unit and cabinet on both sides. To my surprise, after inserting it, it frees up the unit and I can pull out.

Now I can see why the stereo wouldn't come out. It was screwed to a metal bracket that was screwed to the underside of the upper shelf above the countertop. With the DVD unit out, I don't need to remove it. I plug my dual phono plug (left/right channel at both ends) into the AUDIO OUT on the DVD and into the AUX IN plug dangling from the stereo. I then turn everything on, plug my ipod into the AUDIO IN on the front of the DVD, and, eureka-I get music. The only problem is, only the cockpit speakers work. I try everything to no avail. I check the FM radio and the front cabin speakers still work, but in AUX IN mode, only the cockpit.

I finally admit I can't make this work, so I unplug the plugs connecting the 2 units together. Before shoving the DVD back into the slot, I notice the AUX IN band is showing on in the stereo. Just to amuse myself, I plug the iPod into the external AUX IN slot and music plays, and on all speakers. I try all permutations of turning the radio on and off, and plugging the iPod in and out, and it works as it is supposed to. Somehow taking everything apart and putting it back together fixed the stereo AUX IN plug. I'm back to where I started a month ago.

I was just so glad it now works, I put it all together and was happy that I could again use the AUX IN plug on the iPod as I always have and I can live with the cheap speakers on the TV. It wasn't till I was on my way home I realized I'M BACK TO WHERE I STARTED! That means I can take the "audio in" cable at the TV, add an extension wire and plug it directly into the AUX IN on the stereo and get the full sound, like I did for 20 seconds last month. If it only last another 20 seconds, I'll know it's not meant to be. Otherwise I'll get good TV sound.

Paul
                            2008 Rinker 330 EC
                            Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
                            2007 285 (sold)
                            350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

I understand your frustration. In the 2007 305 I had, I'm sure it was the same POS stereo and DVD player. Never did figure it all out, and I also now know why the PO of my 2858 put in a better stereo...
                              Jeff & Tara
                              (And Ginger too)
                              Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                              "GetAway"
                              Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X