No announcement yet.

Possible to connect tablet as the gps for a ais ready vhf radio?-gctid380814

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to connect tablet as the gps for a ais ready vhf radio?-gctid380814

Getting S.I. Matrix 2100 dcs and ais capable vhf radio . is it possible to use my samsung 10.1 which is my plotter w built in gps, as the connecting gps for the vhf? Has anyone done this?

As far as I know, there is no serial output from that tablet, let alone drivers to output GPS data over that connection. You'd be better off just buying a small GPS.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

It is possible to connect a "puck" style GPS to your radio but it takes a bit of electrical tech skill. I did this a few years ago on my sailboat.

http://sailingscamper.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's it? Power it up and it starts sending serial NMEA data? Awesome. Thanks for the great info John.

I should make (and sell) a little terminal box to allow this for all the folks that can't solder or work with breadboard.

Comment

That's all a Garmin 17 is... a GPS receiver. Apply power and the radio gets NMEA data.. They are only about $150 new.

iBoatNW

Comment

I am not sure if this item will work, but just ran across it in Northwest Yachting (April Addition). Looks like a cool gadget. I love anything NEMA 2000

http://www.dmkyacht.com/overview

Rick

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
              That's all a Garmin 17 is... a GPS receiver. Apply power and the radio gets NMEA data.. They are only about $150 new.
              https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/i...9hjh9ub0qlddq2 has some nice ones too and they are a lot cheaper than the Garmin. What I will never understand is why S.H. used a 12-channel lowest end GPS module in their new GX1700 model with integrated GPS and then they charge a fortune for that $10 GPS module. Much better to buy the GX1600 and a MUCH better puck receiver for $45 which you can mount where it really sees the sky.

The SiRFstar III is the second best receiver after the u-blox LEA-6 which unfortunately I have never found used in a puck-style receiver.

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                Sure, it is set up for that. But we are talking about a $30 USB puck, a bit different animal.

Comment

orca wrote:
                  Sure, it is set up for that. But we are talking about a $30 USB puck, a bit different animal.
                  Yeah... it's not like spending $150 on a reliable GPS for for your DSC radio would be worth it.

When you have to push that red button to call for help, I think it will be money well spent. Besides, you might want to try a chartplotter some day.

iBoatNW

Comment

Working...
                  X