Vhf radio-gctid380628

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vhf radio-gctid380628

Ive tried everythong to get my vhf radio to work properly. last year i bought a new shakespeare antenna, I didnt cut the cable but last coupe time i cit few inches off to connect it to the adapter for the vhf. other boater say they hear lots of static. I aasumed it was because i didnt have a solder connection.

Lat year i also bought a new radio thinking the old one was bad and the same thing was happening! Yesterday i bought a new adapter. the one where you dont have to splice or solder the wire. i hook it up and was geyting lots of static. i had to unscrew it half way out to get a recption. Everytime zi wiggles the wires it would go in and out.l staticky!

The marina guy said maybe itsbecause i cut the antena wire and that has an effect on the reception. when i did have a reception i called seatow for radio check and they did respond back to me but i want it to work all the time with out worrying if people can har me or not.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of just buying a handheld radio in replace of this. How far does the hanheld radios work. They all say one watt, but how far is that compared to the one i have? I dont want to waste $50 on a new antenna and its still going to be staticky. Burt then i dont want to waste 120 on a handheld if it is just the antenna. So Im pondering, which way to go?

i will be posting a thread about my horn also soon. its getting power but now just a low tone, thumping noise. i changed it two years ago as well.

thanks

joe

You need to be sure that the shield wire does not touch the middle copper wire.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Do a radio ncheck with engine running and without. Could be static from ignition,blower,wiper,etc.

Comment

telstar1 wrote:
        Do a radio ncheck with engine running and without. Could be static from ignition,blower,wiper,etc.
        And alternator.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Did the radio transmit OK before you got the new antenna? Anyway as the other folks said check your shield connection to make sure it has a solid connection to the VHF plug. Also check to make sure the center conductor has a solid connection. Not sure if that would cause static vs. just abruptly shutting off and on your signal. Sometimes electical hash can come through the power supply connections as well. So make sure they are tight and your ground connection is good at the terminal block. You also might want to see if you can shield them if there is still static in the radio signal. It sounds like you have an intermittent issue if the last radio check was OK. Most likely a loose connection.

Comment

Cutting the cable isn't your problem.

Reattaching it might be.

In other words don't buy another antenna.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I assume you have a decent VHF radio inistalled.

Have a second look at the connection at the connector. The issue is likely there. Read the directions for the connector install again.

BTW the antenna is as much or more important than the radio. You mentioned spending $50 on another antenna. In all honesty with antennas you get what pay for. Look at a Shakespeare 5225 Xp these are quality antenna.

A handheld is 5 watts with a short antenna.

A mounted VHF is 25 watts with a 8 foot antenna.

Which do you think will reach out farther ?
              Jim McNeely
              New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
              Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
              Brighton, Michigan USA
              MMSI # 367393410

Comment

We are assuming that your radio is ok..... is it new? Is the radio old? The antenna connection is very important, but wont matter if the radio doesnt work. A $50 antenna is better than a $30 antenna, but not by much. The Shakespear 5225 is over $100. but when I installed mine I was very impressed. I would never buy a cheap antenna again.

I didnt cut the cable but last coupe time i cit few inches off to connect it to the adapter for the vhf. other boater say they hear lots of static. I aasumed it was because i didnt have a solder connection.
                What "adapter" are you refering to?

Comment

Working...
                X