Cut the cord on new charger!?-gctid380171

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Rick , nice tutorial! im getting a handle on this amp hours thing thank you. Nice read Carlos, and Harv i have read your post over and over , it takes me a while to absorb , just like charging a battery. . Thanks to all else. This is an *** kickin forum!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As i said im usually plugged in all night , do you guys think this 12 a charger is enough ?
    It's very hard to answer that. It's not easy to guess at how much power you use throughout the day as your appliances, lights, and such vary from others. If you only go out during the day and always return to the marina, I suspect you are probably OK.

Others have noted a charge rate taper, which is true when you properly match the size of charger to the bank, but not always true when the charger is under-sized. The charge rate will only taper off if the charger was already charging over the rate that the batteries can accept a charge in their final phase.

Here's my article on power and battery management:

http://www.cruisertips.com/index.php...apacity-energy

I think you'll be on the edge of power capability but probably ok. Watch your voltage and your charger state and make sure it's at full each morning.

As far as the cord, many chargers I've seen do come with a plug. They can be used that way in a diesel boat, or if used inside the cabin. Cutting it off has zero bearing on anything. It's exactly the same as if it came with a bare cord. Don't let some worry-warts start you to worrying.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Buying a charger you can hardwire input side will eliminate any questions about cutting cords and voiding warrantys. If you can return your purchased unit, maybe that is an option. I believe the charger you bought was designed to use a connect charge plug for the input http://www.iboats.com/Marinco-Connec.../view_id.39081 The battery charger description for 16102 https://sites.google.com/a/s516.clou...-amp-for-sale/ mentions the connect charge plug what ever that really is I don't know. Maybe an email to tech support could shed some light.

Hope this helps

Matt

Leave a comment:

• captharv
    replied
    For those of you who have not bothered to read my post in the BOC Library

"Marine batteries and charging"

The efficiency of battery charging is about 70%.

This means that if you take out 70 amp-hours, you must put 100AH back in.

Moreover, the theroy about 11 amps for 10 hours is 110AH is bravo-sierra.

The charge rate tapers off as the battery is accepting the charge. So, a 10 amp charger trying to charge 100 AH may take as much as 18 hours to get the battery up to 95%

Heres the link for those who will ignore it------

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...s-and-Charging

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    For what it's worth, I found a great source for charges on Ebay. They are factory refurbished and have a 90 day warranty. The seller chargerguysales has fantastic feedback and seems to only sell the Pro Mariner brand chargers. The 30 amp charger sells for $140. It charges 3 banks (10amp, 10amp, 10amp). Or you can double up on 1 is you have 2 banks (10amp, 20amp). This charger also monitors the voltage of each of the batteries and charges the one(s) that needs it.

After hearing from other forum members who own these chargers, i also decided to go with this brand.

Greg

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Scraping B wrote:
    Rick , this is why im here . I dont kno how to calculate my amp hrs. I go to the beach , we use our radio and thats it , we come back after a gorgeous sunset. I have never had a battery issue or problem starting and with that being said , i honestly dont think my charger has worked since ive owned the boat. Giv it to me straight , do you think i can get away with this charger ? My batteries are identical deep cycle maxx 29 875 amp hrs and 205 reserve whatever the hell that means. remember i am a pleasure boater , i do not spend nights on the hook. however if i have made a grave mistake here , tell me. and of course with all due respect.
    If you are a day user, you may not have any issues.

When you run back, you can select the battery that you were using for the radio, and charge it while under way.

As for chargers...... typically a 6/6 2 bank charger would be considered very small.

As for caluculating AH, you'll need to find out the amp draw of each item being used X's it's usage in minutes or hours.

Start with a few simple ones.

1 amp draw for 1 hour = 1 AH.

10 amp draw for 1/2 hour = 5 AH.

So if during the day you used:

radio at 2 amps for 6 hours = 12 AH consumed.

amplifier at 4 amps for 6 hours = 24 AH consumed.

refrigerator that draws 6 amps for 6 hours, but cycles 1/2 the time = 18 AH consumed.

Kids play with washdown pump at 6 amps for 20 min. = 2 AH consumed.

power inflator for blow up toys at 8 amps for 15 min. = 2 AH consumed.

inverter for ???? at 80 amps for 6 min. = 8 AH

So at the end of the day you have used 66 AH

A 6 amp charge rate requires just about 11 hours charge time, and that's if it holds at 6 amps.

It's just math.

RMSLLC wrote:
    I just did this on my boat. I wired a female plug onto the boats wiring and simply plugged the new charger into it. That way if this charger ever has a problem, its as simple as unplugging it and removing it.
    I believe that he wants to install this charger in the engine bay.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just did this on my boat. I wired a female plug onto the boats wiring and simply plugged the new charger into it. That way if this charger ever has a problem, its as simple as unplugging it and removing it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Scraping B wrote:
    Rick , this is why im here . I dont kno how to calculate my amp hrs. I go to the beach , we use our radio and thats it , we come back after a gorgeous sunset. I have never had a battery issue or problem starting and with that being said , i honestly dont think my charger has worked since ive owned the boat. Giv it to me straight , do you think i can get away with this charger ? My batteries are identical deep cycle maxx 29 875 amp hrs and 205 reserve whatever the hell that means. remember i am a pleasure boater , i do not spend nights on the hook. however if i have made a grave mistake here , tell me. and of course with all due respect.
    If you think your old charger wasn't working and you could go out all day and fire up without problems your new charger will be fine. I'm guessing you have a stock radio and nothing with amps? I would always switch to one battery while on the Hook to be safe. But in response to charger for your use, I think your fine !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    in short, if you use 100Ah from your batteries and charge them with optimistic constant 6A (they usually go lower towards the end) for 10h you theoretically have recharged 60Ah. Unfortunately that's not true as some of the energy goes wasted. My guess is that for the above you only got 50Ah and the rest goes into heat.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Scraping B wrote:
    The new charger is a 12 , 6 & 6 _2 bank the old was a 10 amp 5&5 2 bank. so this is actually an upgrade . Im going for it.
    Yes, it is an upgrade from what you had. However, that may not necessarily mean that the old 10 amp 5/5 - 2 bank was any where near enough from the get-go!

IMO, you still need to calculate your anticipated daily loads in AH, and size the HLBB and Charger accordingly.... unless you are comfortable with the 6/6 2 bank.

Just say'n!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was faced with the same situation a couple of years ago. Original equip. charger failed. I bought the same model of charger to replace. During instalation I found that new charger was designed for plugging in. Rechecked the catalogue from my supplier and found they offered the charger both ways: hard wire or plug in. I had ordered the wrong model.

I cut the plug off, soldered connections, shrink wrapped, and taped to secure. (Inside a junction box). Hasn't given any trouble.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i believe i can use the existing hardwire that is powering my existing 10amp. I havent disected the new charger but if i can , yes, i agree to wire it straight in with no connectors. I dont want to be loosing voltage into my dock im sure theres too much of that going on already. The new charger is a 12 , 6 & 6 _2 bank the old was a 10 amp 5&5 2 bank. so this is actuallyb an upgrade . Im going for it.

Leave a comment:

• boatworkfl
    replied
    I think you are fine with that charger provided it has the capacity to keep your batteries charged, you can hard wire it to your electrical panel, preferably with it's own breaker, you can make the splice in a sealed box in the engine room, be sure the splice has a heave duty crimp, not a std, 12 volt butt connector. I personally would run new wire from the charger to the 120 volt panel if at all possible, 14 ga will work for your application, use 3 strand marine cable, not hardware store cable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    oh, and thanks Rick for explaining the switch connection .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X