Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting a TV on the Head Wall Facing the V-Berth, is it strong Enough-gctid379969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting a TV on the Head Wall Facing the V-Berth, is it strong Enough-gctid379969

Hi All, I have a 25-30 lbs TV that I want to mount onto the head wall facing the v-berth, I was going to use oversize washers so the bolts don't pull through the wall.

I'm just wondering if this wall is strong enough for the bouncing underway and if anyone has comments on mounting it this way?

Thanks in advance

It's 1/2" ply or so, I have a 22" LCD mounted to it and I've never seen it flex. On most boats that is a tabbed bulkhead so it is quite strong.

I used a 2" desk grommet to bring the cords into the v-birth cabinet from behind the TV.

Comment

I have had a few tv's mounted in my boats. 1 thing to consider is wieght. I have a 24'' samsung mounted in my 2355, the wall and mount held up no problem, but the tv itself.... The back of the tv actually tore off and fell. Just something to think about, I know the tv wasnt near 35 lbs, I think it was around 25lbs. I bought a 22'' that wieghs ALOT less, and have never had any issues since. Just something to think about, hows that 35-40lbs tv going to handle being pounded by waves when your cruising along.

Comment

I don't see anywhere in your post or info what boat you have or where you boat. It would help to add that to your signature.

On my 2455, which bounced around quite a bit, I had a TV mounted that way with fender washers backing it. I also had a strap over it that would hold it against the wall and support some of its weight. When we forgot to attach that one time while under way the admiral noticed the TV was bouncing a LOT.

Comment

Thanks for your replies and pictures, I suspected that while underway the Wall and TV suffer so I'm now thinking of creating a lipped ledge that will cradle the TV when not in use, reducing the stress on the mount, wall and TV.Also I just realized that I do not have a power outlet on the starboard side in that area, could I just piggy off the refrigerator outlet under the floor into the small cabinet, any special requirements here?I've been meaning to make up a signature, so here it is.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/683520=27514-Anchor Management.jpg[/img]

Comment

I would keep the outlets with the rest of the outlets on that loop separate from the fridge. That way you dont have to have fridge 120 on to turn on the tv outlet. I have installed 2 additional outlets in my 3055 for my tv and other stuff, I just looped them with the recepticles.

Comment

makes sense, thanks Ryan

Comment

love2speed wrote:
                Thanks for your replies and pictures, I suspected that while underway the Wall and TV suffer so I'm now thinking of creating a lipped ledge that will cradle the TV when not in use, reducing the stress on the mount, wall and TV.Also I just realized that I do not have a power outlet on the starboard side in that area, could I just piggy off the refrigerator outlet under the floor into the small cabinet, any special requirements here?I've been meaning to make up a signature, so here it is.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                Check your breakers. I suspect the fridge is on a 2 amp breaker.

Comment

I have a very thin light 22" samsung mounted on that wall. Never seen it move. That tv sounds heavy to me.

Comment

We have a 24" LCD that rides on the stovetop on the galley counter. We keep the dinette folded down and use it like a sofa. The TV has a nice base with some non skid rubber under it. It hasnt moved an inch, but the largest waves on the lake are coming off of my boat. Nothing to jar anything in the cabin.

Comment

love2speed wrote:
                      Hi All, I have a 25-30 lbs TV that I want to mount onto the head wall facing the v-berth, I was going to use oversize washers so the bolts don't pull through the wall.

I'm just wondering if this wall is strong enough for the bouncing underway and if anyone has comments on mounting it this way?

Thanks in advance
                      I have a 19" with a DVD player mounted on that wall. No problems, no flex after several seasons of use in Lake Erie. The mount is a fixed mount, though. I would not be comfortable with an extension mount without additional support. See http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...on-245-Cruiser for reference.

CE

Comment

Working...
                      X