No announcement yet.

2252 Installing a drum winch in anchor well - needs strengthening?-gctid344801

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2252 Installing a drum winch in anchor well - needs strengthening?-gctid344801

Hello All

I'm in the early stages of installing a drum winch on my 2003 2252, I've had enough of spending good fishing time pulling up the anchor, as well as safety.

The unit I've settled on is a SavWinch (made locally in Melbourne), as you don't need the fall for rode and chain, it all wraps aorund the drum and is out of sight.

http://savwinch.com/

Here comes the problem.

The unit is mounted on the anchor well bulkhead by using a backing plate to spread the stress away from the mounting bolts.

Sounds straight forward, but the bulkhead on my 2252 seems very thin.

Has anybody done a similar install?

or

Do you know if the bulkhead has sufficient strength so take the load of pulling the boat through water, thinking worse case wind and swell?

Cheers

Q

Looks like it mounts to the bow deck, not a bulkhead, in which case I'd think that the deck would be of stout thickness here.

Have you considered a Windlass?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Hello Bounty thanks for the reply.

I've seen a number of installs where it's mounted in the anchor well, the units are pretty flexible with a number of different positions for the motor to fit and it looks a lot neater.

Problem with a windlass is the depth of anchor well, I'm told it can cause the rope to tangle if it doesn't drop freely.

Cheers

Q

Comment

here's a pic of one in a larger boat

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/647453=23861-winch.jpg[/img]

Comment

baylinerdownunder wrote:
          Problem with a windlass is the depth of anchor well, I'm told it can cause the rope to tangle if it doesn't drop freely.
          Q, yes, unless all chain rode, there's truth to that, so we must choose our poison wisely!

Here's a couple thoughts.

Windlass has unlimited rode length capacity.

Winch drum has limited capactiy via the size of the drum.

(each of the above may be a non-issue.... just say'n)

The winch likely won't have the pulling power of a good Windlass.

The pulling power of a Windlass remains constant (effective gypsy diameter does not change).

The pulling power of a Winch does not remain constant (effective diamter of the drum changes with the quantiy of rode on it)

This means:

with little rode deployed, the Winch is at a disadvantage as per motor gear reduction, yada yada yada.

with more rode deployed, the Winch is at a greater advantage because the effective drum diameter is smaller... and then yada yada yada gear reduction and so on.

of course this changes as the rode spools up on the drum.

(this may not be an issue either way.... just say'n!)

There are things that can be done to increase the rode drop for a Windlass to work.

Doug brought up the tube idea several years ago.

Not sure if any BOC members have use it, but it looks like it may work, but you'd have to be somewhat creative.

Again... just say'n!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I like these drum winches myself. We do not overnight on the hook, but often will want to anchor up during lunch or slack tide to fish a spot for an hour or so and it's a pain getting out on the deck to drop and then retrieve, especially when some of the spots are tight to rocks and you really need to be at the helm holding position while someone pulls the anchor. The drum being inside the locker gets rid of the need to be on deck with a remote control set.

I think with a fair sized drum, the ratio won't change that much. I would laminate some additional material to the bulkhead if it worries you.

Fiberglass and epoxy in a piece of plywood, or bolt in an aluminum backing plate?

Comment

Guys thanks for the input

Thought I'd post an update on progress.

I've had a new bow roller fabricated of 5mm 316 stainless steel, this will hold the new 20lb plough anchor. I've done the install and all looks good. Will post a picture soon.

I've been in contact with a local guy who used to be a yacht builder but now does repairs and modifications, he's done these before. His recommendation was to glass in some marine plywood over the bulkhead. Doesn't sound too expensive but need to take the boat down for a firm price.

Cheers

Baylinerdownunder

Comment

Good news, can't wait to see the pictures and feedback on operation...

How fast it drops and retrieves the anchor?

What did this unit set you back (aussie dollars?).

Comment

Hello All

The install is done and dusted, the boats been on the water twice since the install and to say I'm happy with the result is a bit of an understatement.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the finished product.

The bulk head was glassed both sides and completely sealed, when they made the boat they took a shortcut and left the top with a small gap (5-8mm along the top). If you look inside the anchor well you can see the carpet. 19mm marine ply was then glassed against the inside wall to strengthen. All up the bulkhead ended up being 45mm thick, over engineered? The fibreglasser said the key was to seal all the way round to prevent flexing.

I did the install and and cleanup to save $$.

The unit is a SavWinch 1500W with the electronic freefall, see the website http://www.savwinch.com.au/ for info,

I used 2AWG tinned cable all the way through, a smaller cable would have been OK, but I figured I only want to install it once.

The anchor is 20lb, attached to 8m of 8mm short link chain, spliced to 100m of 8mm double braid polyester rope.

Cheers

Q

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712927=30669-anchor1.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/712927=30668-anchor2.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X