Whats the reason for a bow pulpit?-gctid379231

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the reason for a bow pulpit?-gctid379231

So i have my 87 2555 with a 2 foot bow pulpit on the boat. If i were to actually pay for a slip instead of dry storage, that would cost me an additional 270 just for the extra 2'. Do i really need a bow pulpit? i do have an anchor locker on deck that I can stow my anchor in. Any advice? Can i lose it and save over 200.00 dockfees?

Marinas may have different policies between them, re; LOA.

I suppose you could show them your vessel title, and perhaps argue the point.

Bow pulpits are nice to have. If a Windlass is in your future, you'll want/need the pulpit to be there.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Depends on the marina. My 1st marina, you pay for the entire slip size, regardless of your size. So for my 31' boat, I paid for a 34' slip, even though I was only 31'.

My current marina you pay LOA, which worked out a little better for me in the end.

Comment

How else would one harpoon the white whale, except from the bow pulpit? :arr

Signed, Ismael

Comment

Dear Ismael, we've sited you doing this, and fully understand.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Aye, matey!

Comment

Many new boat dont have bow pulpits and just have a anchor roller.

The pulpit is generally some where to hang the anchor and to deploy it. If you can do it with out that you can delete the pulpit. Some people just shorten it others do away with it completely.

Yes it is easier to harpoon whales too. I have used it to bring in walrus but i had to strengthen it as mine bent when i tried to bring it in.

Btw the whole titanic flying on the bow pulpit thing is waaaaay over rated
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

If you boat near Somalian shore, bow pulpit is an excellent hard-point to mount M60 machine gun. :arr

Comment

That's where I hang Chum to catch JAWS ...

Although I had to give that up because my Chinese fishing buddy "Chum" won't answer my calls anymore ...
                  It's all a dream
                  '03 245 5.7/BIII & '07 Sedona pontoon

Comment

Hmmm. I don't understand the concept. To save a couple hundred bucks you want to saw off the nose of your boat. That eliminates the bow anchor roller, the anchor rode stand-off, the red/green navigation lights and the stanchion base for your bow rail. Not to mention the resale value.

To remediate the above listed losses will require spending a lot more than 2 - 300 bucks in time, materials and cussing. And at the end of it you have a boat that nobody wants because it's been hacked up.

I mean, right now you have a perfectly good, well designed, well built, functional boat. Why mess with it?

Comment

Regarding AOL marina charges, I was thinking while I am extending my swim platform maybe I should hinge it. This way I can just flip it up when the measure.
                      Cheers, Hans
                      2007 Carver 41 CMY
                      Twin Volvo D6-370
                      Montreal, Canada
                      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I'm with telebob on this one, if you can't afford the Boat you can always sell it and buy something you can afford to own and operate without hacking it up.......Another option is move to a different marina with lower fees..

My dock fees go up about 300 a year so it would be a 1 year savings at best... BTW I pay for what the stickers say on the side of my boat..... all 19' of it....lol

Comment

MidnightSun wrote:
                          Regarding AOL marina charges, I was thinking while I am extending my swim platform maybe I should hinge it. This way I can just flip it up when they measure.
                          Hans, no matter how early I get up, you always catch the best worms.

That was a good one! :coo-

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Guess I'm a noob still, but I thought that as a sense of fair play that swim platforms and bow pulpits do not count as to overall boat length? At least when I go to Burton Island Campground or Burlington Boat House they only charge by the original length, not add'l for add-ons.

And if the schmucks at my marina try to benefit from MY swim platform, they are sadly making a short-term profit for a longer-term deficit.

No WAY would I pay them extra for that.

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                              Guess I'm a noob still, but I thought that as a sense of fair play that swim platforms and bow pulpits do not count as to overall boat length? At least when I go to Burton Island Campground or Burlington Boat House they only charge by the original length, not add'l for add-ons.

And if the schmucks at my marina try to benefit from MY swim platform, they are sadly making a short-term profit for a longer-term deficit.

No WAY would I pay them extra for that.
                              Unfortunatly most marina's charge by length over all including the pulpit and the swim platform. Worse was the last marina I was at that charged by the beam plus a foot on either side regardless of the length of you boat

Comment

Working...
                              X