Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyer Wheel Fitting-gctid378441

Im annoyed...

I dont care for the "sport" wheel at the helm, and wanted to switch to destroyer type wheel. I ofund one at a swap meet and thought I scored. Pulled the old wheel off, and the shaft is tapered with a keyway, and NOT SPLINED!!! Everything else is splined! the destroyer wheel I bought is SPLINED!

Where can i get a destroyer type wheel that is tapered with a key way rather than splined? I haven't seen one.

Man I'm annoyed with this....

I have never seen a splined destroyer wheel. When I was shopping for one, everything was 3/4" taper.

West Marine has tapered shaft wheels.
    Mike P
    The Bahamas
    Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
      I have never seen a splined destroyer wheel. When I was shopping for one, everything was 3/4" taper.

West Marine has tapered shaft wheels.
      You found a wheel none else could use, a good deal is only a good deal if you positivly know what is what you need: Put it on ebay! Buy what you know what you need, not what you want.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I had it all backwards. That's why all the cheap used ones I see are splined!

Dang. $20 down the tubes.

Comment

If you're handy with a die grinder, you could open the taper up and add a keyway with a bastard file.
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
            If you're handy with a die grinder, you could open the taper up and add a keyway with a bastard file.
            Buy what you need, a die grinder is not a reamer! Only a chisel and hammer. POOR SOLITION. You know better than this!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have a destroyer wheel ill make you a deal on Ii dont need it. It is a bayliner factory wheel. PM me if you want it.
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                I have a destroyer wheel ill make you a deal on Ii dont need it. It is a bayliner factory wheel. PM me if you want it.
                Check your taper on the shaft, if it works, go for this one.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                  Buy what you need, a die grinder is not a reamer! Only a chisel and hammer. POOR SOLITION. You know better than this!
                  with your attitude sir, we would still be British subjects. You have no Yankee ingenuity.

Comment

boatommy wrote:
                    with your attitude sir, we would still be British subjects. You have no Yankee ingenuity.
                    Actually my mechanical ability to improvise is very strong, a die grinder will not ever be able to do what a tapered reamer can do, so: What brought this about?

Your tone sounds a lot like old time bitterish, just wondering?

Where is your solution?

My spelling is not great, as I really do not care about it, and my finger bones are telling me this, just in case that is an issue too!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                      Actually my mechanical ability to improvise is very strong, a die grinder will not ever be able to do what a tapered reamer can do, so: What brought this about?

Your tone sounds a lot like old time bitterish, just wondering?

Where is your solution?

My spelling is not great, as I really do not care about it, and my finger bones are telling me this, just in case that is an issue too!
                      I think you should just throw it away then and write it off to your lack of technical inclination.

As far as buying the right tool... I'd just put it in my CNC mill and write a few lines of code. But I still bet I could do it by hand.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
                        I've only seen the tapered shafts and maybe a few odd square/tapered hubs for this style wheel. I've seen many more tapered shaft hubs.

I have to agree with Pat. A die grinder is probably not the best way to remove the splines, and yet leave a nicely shaped taper for a good snug fit.

The tapered reamer would be a much better solution, then lap the hub to the helm shaft with the key removed.

The key-way could certainly be filed into it.... but sheesh, buy the correct wheel, and be done with it!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I just ordered the correct wheel. I have seen several splined wheels at Minnie's Yacht Surplus in Newport Beach, now I know why they are all still there. Wonder what they came off of?

Comment

yachtman wrote:
                            sorry, i ordered one before I saw this...A new one, 15 inch on Amazon for $57, and I used my AMex points to pay for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X