Volvo AQ prop bolt length-gctid377057

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo AQ prop bolt length-gctid377057

I was mounting my prop last night for this weeks shakedown run and broke the allen bolt off! Strange in that it had this little nylon pin drilled into it and that was where it broke, so I twisted the rest of it out with a flatblade...that disaster averted....but I still need a new bolt.

I know the thread is 5/16-18, but what length do I need?

The only place in town that has the genuine volvo bolt isn't open after I get off work. I really can't scrap my shakedown with fishing opening this weekend, that would be giving murphy's law too many opportunites.

Anyone got a bolt laying around they can grab a length from?

I want to guess about 2" but not sure...

Bought 1-3/4 and 2" long, only a couple threads engage on the 2", no good.

Going to be 2-1/2"

Comment

Man I wish I had seen this thread, I literally just had one in my hand this morning.

Comment

Ryan, I just went out and measured the length for you. In fact, I measured two of them just to be sure.

5/16" NC threads, length is 2.250" .

The dog gone things usually break at that nylon pill.

Grease the threads with a water proof grease, lock the spinner and gently lock the bolt.... and you should be OK.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
          Ryan, I just went out and measured the length for you. In fact, I measured two of them just to be sure.

5/16" NC threads, length is 2.250" .

The dog gone things usually break at that nylon pill.

Grease the threads with a water proof grease, lock the spinner and gently lock the bolt.... and you should be OK.

Thankfully the 1/2 of the hole where the nylon pill was helped me get the piece out of the hole. I put an allen wrench in the cone hole and then slide a tube over that so the cone is good and tight, but I got overzealous with the bolt and broke it off. I'll try a 2-1/2" and shorten it if needed...

Comment

Working...
          X