Shift shaft seals-gctid376767

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift shaft seals-gctid376767

I thought that I was having impeller problems so I dropped the lower end of my Alapha to check (and replace) the impeller. I'd drained the gear lube first, but when I dropped the lower end more lube started coming out of the small hole in the upper shift lever housing (never had this happen before). I'm assuming that the oil seal around this shaft has gone south, but I cannot find any reference to it in the manuals. I obviously have to pull the upper unit to get at this seal, but am not sure what to expect. Is this seal a "do it yourself", or should I be heading for the Merc repair centre? Thanks guys.
    Bob Hawes.
    Kelowna, B.C.
    1998 Trophy 2052 WA
    4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

I read through the Mercruiser forum and found this post. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....+shaft+bushing

It doesn't sound like a hard fix. Mine leaks a little bit of oil, so, I'm doing mine too.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I went to the Merc dealer yesterday to purchase the bushing, seal kit and was told that they hadn't ordered one in 13 years! Ok, so I removed the upper leg assembly this afternoon and saw why. There simply shouldn't be any oil there! Unless the o ring that seals the upper leg to the lower one is leaking, there shouldn't be any drive oil in that location. The irony is that if was leaking there, there'd be signs of oil in the other compartments, which there wasn't. So I've replaced all of the gaskets, the numerous o rings, the impeller, and anything else that needed changing while I was in there, and will refill the leg and fire it up tomorrow and see what happens.
      Bob Hawes.
      Kelowna, B.C.
      1998 Trophy 2052 WA
      4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Sometimes it comes out the seals on the drive shaft. In my case, when I tip the drive up, I can see a drip or two coming from the shift shaft bushing. There's some play in it, so, it must be worn. I've never seen water in the drive, so, it must be leaking when underway, when the pressure is up.

Comment

Working...
        X