Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hour meter help-gctid376594

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hour meter help-gctid376594

    Here's my conundrum, both of my hour meters haven't been working since I bought the boat. They still read what the dealer paperwork advertised. I have checked the PO's log book and it appears that they haven't been working since the last entry, which was 4-5 months before he sold the boat. My thought was a ground issue, but this weekend I took my M-meter and verified that I have good power and ground to and from the gages. I'm stumped. Oh sorry, forgot, it's a 1989, 3288 with 150 Hinos.
    Burr & Francie
    1989, 3288 Motor Yacht "Kokomo"
    1961, Cal 20 (sailboat) "Deja Vu"

    #2
    How are the two hour meters triggered?

    Are they triggered via an oil pressure switch, or by another means?

    This may be a better question for over in the MotorYachts section.

    .
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

    Comment


      #3
      Burr wrote:
      Here's my conundrum, both of my hour meters haven't been working since I bought the boat. They still read what the dealer paperwork advertised. I have checked the PO's log book and it appears that they haven't been working since the last entry, which was 4-5 months before he sold the boat. My thought was a ground issue, but this weekend I took my M-meter and verified that I have good power and ground to and from the gages. I'm stumped. Oh sorry, forgot, it's a 1989, 3288 with 150 Hinos.
      we have the same issue.. the Capt bought news ones and hooked them up and the bloody things arent working still.. I said whack them, but I got "the look"..lol he went and replaced all of them and still nadda.. bloody P.O. OK enough ranting here at work.. (shhhhh) time to clock out and head to the boat.. new battery

      Comment


        #4
        RinnyBeth wrote:
        we have the same issue.. the Capt bought news ones and hooked them up and the bloody things arent working still.. I said whack them, but I got "the look"..lol he went and replaced all of them and still nadda.. bloody P.O. OK enough ranting here at work.. (shhhhh) time to clock out and head to the boat.. new battery
        Rinny: I've never had a Bayline with an hour meter. I service my boat all the time, so it's really not an issue. If there was one, I'd be happy. But since there is no hourmeter on my boat, I'll have to use the "honor system" to guess total hours when it's time to sell. I've got base carb 350 engines and no computer. Griff

        Comment


          #5
          As Rick mentioned, you have to determine what triggers them. Put a voltmeter on the hot side and turn on the ignition key. If you now have power there, your ground is faulty, or you have a faulty hour meter. If there is no voltage indicated, you're connected to the wrong terminal on your ignition switch. Some folks prefer to run them from the oil sending unit, so that they aren't recording hours when the key is turned on, but the engine's not running. As the motor is "usually" running when the key is turned on, it's generally considered accurate enough to have them running of off the ignitiion switch, which is usually an easier connection for the hot side of the meter.
          Bob Hawes.
          Kelowna, B.C.
          1998 Trophy 2052 WA
          4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

          Comment


            #6
            I'm thinking there bad. They are wired to the ignition switchs and I have power and the groung is good, so probably bad gages.
            Burr & Francie
            1989, 3288 Motor Yacht "Kokomo"
            1961, Cal 20 (sailboat) "Deja Vu"

            Comment


              #7
              Rinny: I've never had a Bayline with an hour meter.
              Neither have I. I always add battery-powered meters that are triggered by pulses on a spark plug, so there is minimal wiring to do. They also show RPM which is useful for tuning idle if you have carbs.

              Comment


                #8
                Burr wrote:
                I'm thinking there bad. They are wired to the ignition switchs and I have power and the groung is good, so probably bad gages.
                Are they showing very similar hour readings on each of them? If so, and the gauges have both failed, then they both failed at the same time. That would be very odd. If this is the case, re-check your power and grounds.

                Comment


                  #9
                  When we got our 38 I found that one of the hour meters was intermittent. It would run at times, then not. It eventually quit. I did all the same, checked voltage, ground. Yes, it was wired to the ignition switch. I finally removed it & hooked it to a battery, & it still wouldn't run. End of story. The hard part was finding one that fit the old hole. Now I have an engine with only 57 hours :right

                  Does seem a bit odd that both would quit at the same time, but it could happen.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X