Engine compartment took on water - emergency abort-gctid376302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine compartment took on water - emergency abort-gctid376302

So my boat was launched yesterday. I had the marina "re-commission" it prior to going in. They said I was good to go. Was on the slip overnight fine. Got in today and took off out of the marina fine as well. Got her up on plane like normal. Then slowed back down and cruised. When I went to give her gas again I had no power. Thought it was odd. Checked gauges and everything was normal. Tried again and this time full throttle - still nothing. So I pulled her back in neutral and opened engine compartment to be surprised that the whole engine and engine bay was under water. Only about 4-5" from top of compartment I immediately beached it along the riverside. Started bailing buckets and bilge pumps full going.

Long story shorter - a couple fisherman boats came to help. Got enough water out to race back to nearby marina. By this time I had filled up with water again in a very short time. Got it on the trailer and pulled it out of the water.

Anyone have any ideas??

hmmmm... I'm guessing that you have a leak somewhere

Assuming its not as simple as a drain plug missing then you should be looking at the outdrive bellows or anywhere that something rubber is used for sealing. A crack in the hull is possible but probably less likely.

It would help to know your boat type.

Comment

The first thing you do when commissioning any boat is to open the hatch and check for leaks. Obviously the mechanics who said you were good to go never even bothered. My suspicion is a forgotten engine drain plug or a popped frost plug. Water will only enter the engine compartment when the engine is running and not sitting at the dock. Find the leak and hold them responsible for any damages or future damage that may result because of the soaking. Starter, alternator and solenoid come to mind.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Here are a few ideas:

A hole in the bellows or the bellows may have come partly disconnected when you ran the boat. Take a look at the bellows and see if it looks sound.

It could be a hole in raw water line or connection. If you can run your engine on the muffs while the boat is on the trailer and you see water coming in the engine compartment that would point to a raw water hose/connection/ broken raw water pump issue.

Did you see water coming out of the boat when it was on the trailer? It may come out the same way it came in.

Comment

One other thing I should add is the water we bailed out was warm. Another boater asked about an exhaust boot??

My fear is the marina will not have any accountability and tell me it's something that broke or blew out that has nothing to do with re-commissioning

Comment

You may have an engine drain plug or two missing in the engine after the block was drained for the winter. Warm water is a sure sign the water is coming somewhere from the cooling core. When you recommissioned did you replace all the plugs yourself or at leased check if they all were there? These plugs are blue plastic "wingnut" looking with threads. This would also explain why no water is coming in when boat is not moving, basically the water in the bilge is being pumped in after engine warms up and thermostat opens.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/679755=27056-18-4226_big.jpg[/img]Sounds like you got your engine compartment flooded pretty good. Keep an eye on that starter motor as they are first to go with in a month or two after being submerged. Also check all your electrical stuff like battery chargers and trim pumps if they got wet. Consider yourself lucky for not getting swamped. Once you start loading up with the water the sinking process accelerates as the through hull drain fittings that were above water are now submerged.

Comment

Impulse wrote:
              One other thing I should add is the water we bailed out was warm. Another boater asked about an exhaust boot??

My fear is the marina will not have any accountability and tell me it's something that broke or blew out that has nothing to do with re-commissioning
              Then most likely the problem is like I posted above.
              Cheers, Hans
              2007 Carver 41 CMY
              Twin Volvo D6-370
              Montreal, Canada
              Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Another thing is that I drove it fine yesterday for a quick 10 min spin. Today it was fine for first 5-10 min. Then the problem

Comment

Impulse wrote:
                  Another thing is that I drove it fine yesterday for a quick 10 min spin. Today it was fine for first 5-10 min. Then the problem
                  Engine warms up, thermostat opens and the water is being dumped in cause of missing drain plug. Another possibility cracked block, but you have not yet confirmed if the plugs are all there.

Comment

Yesterday it was fine? Then today...

Did you check the engine bay at all yesterday?

Also, did the bilge pump turn on automatically?

If all was fine yesterday and today not I would check all the hoses as well as the plugs that others have listed, one could have come loose. Since it was warm water I do not believe it came thru a bellow.
                    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                    1998 3055 Ciera
                    (yes, a 1998)
                    Previous boat: 1993 3055
                    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                    Sea Doo XP
                    Sea Doo GTI SE
                    Life is short. Boats are cool.
                    The family that plays together stays together.
                    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

As I mentioned I paid the marina to prep the boat and go through it. They said everything was good to go.

I did drive it yesterday fine. Is it possible an engine drain plug could have popped today? If so what would cause it to randomly pop

Comment

Impulse wrote:
                        As I mentioned I paid the marina to prep the boat and go through it. They said everything was good to go.

I did drive it yesterday fine. Is it possible an engine drain plug could have popped today? If so what would cause it to randomly pop
                        People make mistakes and forget stuff, especially if its not their boat and rushed to winterize hundreds of boats in few short weeks. Just because marina services your boat does not mean you do not have to be vigilant of your boats basic systems. Remember it's you who will be sinking not the marina should something go wrong. Besides plugs, its good idea to check all through-hull fittings, hoses, and make sure seackock valves work and everything double clamped and tight.

Comment

You say it is on the trailer so I assume you will be bringing it back to where they serviced the boat. If so, make sure you are there when they hook up the muffs and fire her up. You will see the leak immediately and if they did forget to put back a drain plug then they are responsible. Being a 1997 I believe you have brass or steel drain plugs which do not fail like the newer plastic ones can.
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
                            People make mistakes and forget stuff, especially if its not their boat and rushed to winterize hundreds of boats in few short weeks. Just because marina services your boat does not mean you do not have to be vigilant of your boats basic systems. Remember it's you who will be sinking not the marina should something go wrong. Besides plugs, its good idea to check all through-hull hoses and make sure seackock valves work and everything double clamped and tight.
                            Agreed. I just wish I knew more. Learning a ton through this forum. I thank all of you. Unfortunately I do not know what all to check this the reason I needed to hire marina to handle things. These are good points for me to learn and check

Comment

Check your engine oil as well. Make sure the engine did not ingest any water.
                              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                              1998 3055 Ciera
                              (yes, a 1998)
                              Previous boat: 1993 3055
                              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                              Sea Doo XP
                              Sea Doo GTI SE
                              Life is short. Boats are cool.
                              The family that plays together stays together.
                              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X